Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My TC drops its wifi signal after a long period ( overnight ) of inactivity. I have tried re instating all settings, double checked the channels etc. but the issue persists.

The only way to gain access to the TC in order to get wifi back is to physically unplug it, wait 30 seconds then plug in again....after that all is well throughout the day.

Can't find anything relevant around the boards, and I'm wondering if this issue has manifested itself after the latest update to the TC fiirmware....Anybosy else having this problem?

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
My early-2009 TC does this every 3 months or so. Specifically, it just drops wi-fi for my iOS devices (standing right next to it) whilst my Mac laptops can still work on wi-fi (again, right next to it).

(I thought until recently it may be the 5 vs. 2.4 GHz bands causing it, with the 2.4 failing for the iOS devices. But this doesn't make sense now to me, as all the current iOS devices in my home now work on the 5GHz band as well, yet I still see exactly the same issue. Strange.)

Usually I have to either use Airport Utility to restart it remotely, or physically unplug/replug (I usually also unplug/replug my cable router next to it at the same time to reset the whole connection).

This is quite a usual thing on many routers I've read and been told on the phone by my ISP's tech staff. So I've always just learned to live with it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
My early-2009 TC does this every 3 months or so. Specifically, it just drops wi-fi for my iOS devices (standing right next to it) whilst my Mac laptops can still work on wi-fi (again, right next to it).

(I thought until recently it may be the 5 vs. 2.4 GHz bands causing it, with the 2.4 failing for the iOS devices. But this doesn't make sense now to me, as all the current iOS devices in my home now work on the 5GHz band as well, yet I still see exactly the same issue. Strange.)

Usually I have to either use Airport Utility to restart it remotely, or physically unplug/replug (I usually also unplug/replug my cable router next to it at the same time to reset the whole connection).

This is quite a usual thing on many routers I've read and been told on the phone by my ISP's tech staff. So I've always just learned to live with it.

Strange that I never had the issue prior to the latest TC firmware updates though...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Wireless phones... microwave ovens... etc can cause interference at the 2.4Ghz frequency. Any chance that it is interference?

/Jim

No JIm, I'm up on the 5GHZ band...It's almost like a lockout in the morning, and I can rarely get in with Airport Utility...Unplugging the TC and then plugging back in and it all comes good....weird.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I fixed this by erasing the TC having first placed the backup files on my R4. I then re-set the networks and have had trouble free performance for the last 3 days...I think when I deleted the cMBP backup files after selling it, the reported free space on the TC was incorrect.

All is now as it should be, without having to re-boot the TC in the morning,:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.