Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcravenw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
Ages ago I worked for Apple in their Wireless Multimedia department, and Time Capsule was a fantastic tool to have out there. Now that Apple has decided to go in a different direction, does anyone have any advice for a program and/or NAS type of device that can accomplish similar things to a TC? Remote backing up is handy, but remote storage/content access is really my main goal. Now that I've got a new MacBook Pro, it would be nice to be able to remotely access multiple external hard drives I've had gathering dust over the years.

WIthout trying to find a refurb or used item out there, does anyone have any thoughts as to what a decent alternative would be?

Reactions: SkippyThorson

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You can buy Synology or QNAP NAS units w/out drives, although, ext drives you have "gathering dust over the years" might not be compatible w/ latest devices... but you never know.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
any NAS will do what you want. You can also build your own server with openmediavault, fireguard, and a little know how. If you want a simple set and forget and dont mid the occasional issue, the NAS is what you want. If you dont mind tinkering and a little extra work for something more reliable, building your own is what you want.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
After my Drobo (which primarily served Time Machine, streaming media and file storage) died and the company went under I had more or less settled on Synology.

However, I had an old PC that all the disks from the Drobo would fit in after adding a new bracket and some cabling, so I decided to try TrueNAS:

I had some initial issues getting Time Machine to run on an encrypted sparse bundle mounted from TrueNAS, but after a software update I got it working, and it has been rock solid for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Project Alice

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
1. TM maintains hour by hour backups in an efficient manner reducing the amount of disk space required. Most convenient backup solution.

2. Disadvantages of TM include its tendency to fail and that it can be problematic on NAS units. It either fails or is so slow even with incremental backups on my NASes that it is useless. I have never been able to get it to work, although I do have large backups. Others have had no problems.

NAS units require maintenance such as software updates, volume checks, network setup and configuration to avoid vulnerabilities, etc. Not an issue with DAS units.

I keep multiple DAS TM backups to reduce the risk of TM failures.

3. A 3-2-1 backup plan, with no more than 1 of the 3 being a TM backup, usually requires at least one attached drive which can be rotated to off-site storage.

4. Use apps such as Carbon Copy Cloner to populate and maintain attached drive(s).

5. QNAP has better hardware than Synology and doesn't have Synology's prompting to use their very expensive drives and memory - on some units. Synology may be a bit easier to use and more stable as opposed to QNAP's better configurability.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Disadvantages of TM include its tendency to fail and that it can be problematic on NAS units. It either fails or is so slow even with incremental backups on my NASes that it is useless.

I have always (sooner or later) had success making my own sparse bunde instead of using the NAS features:

Code:
hdiutil create -size 12000g -type SPARSEBUNDLE -volname "NAMEOFTMVOLUME" -fs APFS -imagekey sparse-band-size=262144 -verbose -encryption -stdinpass ~/Desktop/NAMEOFIMAGEFILE.sparsebundle

I create it locally on the desktop, and then copy it to the NAS.

Besides the fact that it actually works, you can also move or copy the image bundle wherever you want and mount it from there, and it is possible to restrict the maximum size TM will use, in this case 12 TB.

Double-click it from the NAS to mount it, and then run:

Code:
sudo tmutil setdestination /Volumes/NAMEOFTMVOLUME

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian33

jcravenw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2022
I should have specified: The simpler, the better lol

I had someone try to configure a NAS but the only issue I encountered (beyond that he only knew Linux and 0 about Apple systems) was that it forced me to reformat whatever drive I attached, but once that part as done, I could never get the drives to appear in Finder or as a connected server.

Ideally the simpler, the better. I don't mind doing maintenance updates and the like, but the closer to plug and play functionality overall would be idea.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
TM backups to a NAS will work, but the main reason I didnt use it is because of the restore process. In the event of any disaster recovery I want the restore process to be as quick and easy as possible - and nothing is easier then attaching an external drive via cable and hitting the restore button.....I don't want to have to sit and troubleshoot getting a reliable connection to the NAS established when I'm trying to restore my system etc, and I want that restore to be as fast as possible so I can get set back up asap....

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
My suggestion is a ~1TB SSD DAS for TM, excluding all your data files. This is for quick macOS, apps and user account (not user files) recovery. And use something else (e.g. CCC) to backup the rest to your NAS.
Why? OS, apps and accounts can be installed and configured in no time. The data cannot be easily recreated. That is what I need continuously backed up.

If it wasn’t clear from my previous posts, Time Machine to a 12 TB encrypted sparse image served from TrueNAS has worked flawlessly for me for years.

Last edited:

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Ages ago I worked for Apple in their Wireless Multimedia department, and Time Capsule was a fantastic tool to have out there. Now that Apple has decided to go in a different direction, does anyone have any advice for a program and/or NAS type of device that can accomplish similar things to a TC? Remote backing up is handy, but remote storage/content access is really my main goal. Now that I've got a new MacBook Pro, it would be nice to be able to remotely access multiple external hard drives I've had gathering dust over the years.

WIthout trying to find a refurb or used item out there, does anyone have any thoughts as to what a decent alternative would be?

The actually functional and hands-free answer for most in your positiion at this point in time is simple: Pay for cloud backup. Apple themselves do up to 14Tb now.

If you want to noodle it as an enthusiast etc, then a NAS with hosted remote access will work decently well. But as previously mentioned further up the thread you probably don't want to use those 'lying around' drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.