Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
I have:

-Gigabit Ethernet from AT&T
-An AT&T modem/router of some sort
-A Netgear Nighthawk AC3300 I’ve had for at least 5 years
-A Desktop PC wired directly from the router/modem
-An M1 MacBook Air
-An iPhone 13 Pro
-Several PC laptops
-A variety of other WiFi devices and home automation devices

My question is, what sort of router would provide an upgrade to my wifi setup? I imagine my MacBook and iPhone, at the least, could take advantage of a newer router that supports newer standards? Ideally a router that is excellent for lightly experienced tech enthusiasts but has the capabilities to be dug into and really perfected by someone more capable.

Thanks!

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Ubiquiti stuff is worth checking out. Especially if you want to have more than one access point. I use a Dream Machine and a long range extender and it’s been very nice. Not flawless, and their security has taken a hit, but it’s decent gear.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You didn't tell us what your square footage is.

If it's sizable, you might consider a "mesh type" router with a "3 radio band" system.
The "third band" exists solely for "backhaul", leaving the regular 2 bands "open for data".

Ubiquiti, Netgear, Linksys all offer 3-band mesh systems, as do numerous others.
They can be bought individually (I believe), or in 2-node or 3-node systems (again, depending on how much square footage you have to cover).

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
You didn't tell us what your square footage is.

If it's sizable, you might consider a "mesh type" router with a "3 radio band" system.
The "third band" exists solely for "backhaul", leaving the regular 2 bands "open for data".

Ubiquiti, Netgear, Linksys all offer 3-band mesh systems, as do numerous others.
They can be bought individually (I believe), or in 2-node or 3-node systems (again, depending on how much square footage you have to cover).

About 1800 sq ft. Ethernet switch is in the basement, modem and router are in an office upstairs.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"About 1800 sq ft. Ethernet switch is in the basement, modem and router are in an office upstairs."

I think that a 2-node mesh system would do the trick for you.
1 node at the modem.
The second towards the other "end" of the house.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I’ve had good luck using Asus routers using their mesh system. I have an AX11000 doing main duty, and an old RT68 as the distant node. I run an ethernet backhaul, which gives me full bandwidth for devices. That said, ASUS keeps the second 5GHz band for a potential back haul, even if it’s not in use, so that’s not ideal. Still, I get good throughput on a FIOS gigabit connection.

Trio2

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
I’ve had good luck using Asus routers using their mesh system. I have an AX11000 doing main duty, and an old RT68 as the distant node. I run an ethernet backhaul, which gives me full bandwidth for devices. That said, ASUS keeps the second 5GHz band for a potential back haul, even if it’s not in use, so that’s not ideal. Still, I get good throughput on a FIOS gigabit connection.

Does it support a Time Capsule drive thru a USB port?

Thanks.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have:

-Gigabit Ethernet from AT&T
-An AT&T modem/router of some sort
-A Netgear Nighthawk AC3300 I’ve had for at least 5 years
-A Desktop PC wired directly from the router/modem
-An M1 MacBook Air
-An iPhone 13 Pro
-Several PC laptops
-A variety of other WiFi devices and home automation devices

My question is, what sort of router would provide an upgrade to my wifi setup? I imagine my MacBook and iPhone, at the least, could take advantage of a newer router that supports newer standards? Ideally a router that is excellent for lightly experienced tech enthusiasts but has the capabilities to be dug into and really perfected by someone more capable.

Thanks!
I think your router is still sufficient.
The question is, are you having any problems with it? Eg. are there coverage issues? If not, I don't think it's worth to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.