Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Hi,

My problem is a little bit complicated, let me start with some background:
  1. The MacBook Pro had 1 internal volume (a Fusion Drive, say, F) before, but have 2 internal volumes now(a HDD and a SSD, say, H and S).
  2. I have Time Machine backups on an external hard drive, these backups were came from F.
  3. Today, I recovered the last backup from Time Machine Drive to H, then I made a clone from H to S.
  4. Later, I made S as the startup disk, mount H to /Users and copied all previous /Users data to H.
Now, every thing works perfect until I try to attach the Time Machine Drive to the laptop:

The Time Machine performing a full backup according to the data size, it separately backup the two volumes. This waste many space on the Time Machine Drive.

So, I tried following command to associate current root to last backup volume:
Code:
sudo tmutil associatedisk -a / /Volumes/TimeMachine/Backups.backupdb/MBP/2016-02-06-063647/Macintosh\ HD

But it still backup the /Users Volume H, which is really huge.

So, My question is:
Is there any way to associate this Volume to previous backup folder, like, command:

Code:
sudo tmutil associatedisk -a /Users /Volumes/TimeMachine/Backups.backupdb/MBP/2016-02-06-063647/Macintosh\ HD/Users
Will this work? Any ideas on how to associate a volume to previous folder in time machine? I haven't tried this because I afraid it will mess up the TM backup.

Thank you for reading this far... appreciate for any comments on this issue:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.