Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle2595

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Hi, I just installed Mavericks yesterday and I have everything running smoothly except for one thing. When I plug in my external hard drive to do a Time Machine backup, it just says "preparing backup" and never goes anywhere.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Give it time, because you upgraded the OS, its probably going to go through a full back up as opposed to an incremental one and that will take time to clean up enough space on the target disk and/or start indexing what to back up on the source.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Hi, I just installed Mavericks yesterday and I have everything running smoothly except for one thing. When I plug in my external hard drive to do a Time Machine backup, it just says "preparing backup" and never goes anywhere.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.

maflynn is spot on. It'll take a while, just let it run until it finishes. If it's 24 hours and it's still working, either you've got a lot of stuff on your hard drive, or something really is wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.