Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Is anyone experiencing Wi-Fi issues regarding losing internet connection from your Mac when one has setup Time Machine to backup over said network? I have no problem with my internet connection over Wi-Fi on my iPhone running 9.2 but on my month-old MacBook Air running 10.11.2 ever since setting up Time Machine to use my network drive from my Asus router I have been having not stop Wi-Fi/internet issues, especially when waking from standby. Is it just me?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Does turning time machine of fix the wifi connectivity issues?

I use time machine over wifi too without an issue. iMac to an external hdd that's plugged into AirPort Extreme.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I'm starting to doubt if it truly is Time Machine because my family members are complaining about having Wi-Fi problems in my house now as well. Well all devices except for my iPhone 6s seem to be experiencing issues. iOS devices and even an android phone as well. Will have to try changing the router.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Maybe your Time Machine is congesting the network. After all, you are sending lots of data over the network. Your iPhone could be unknowingly using your mobile network if you have not disabled the new Wi-Fi Assist feature under Settings > Mobile Data (at the bottom), which prefers using your mobile network if the Wi-Fi connection is too slow.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Maybe your Time Machine is congesting the network. After all, you are sending lots of data over the network. Your iPhone could be unknowingly using your mobile network if you have not disabled the new Wi-Fi Assist feature under Settings > Mobile Data (at the bottom), which prefers using your mobile network if the Wi-Fi connection is too slow.

It will show cellular network on the phone when it's using mobile data.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

"When Wi-Fi Assist is activated, you'll see the cellular data icon in the status bar on your device."

And mult-path tcp isn't something he could claim "experiencing no problems" with his iPhone.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do you iPhone use the same band / frequency as the others do? e.g. You iPhone is on 802.11ac, but the rest are on 802.11n. Or iPhone is with the 5GHz signal, but the rest are 2.4GHz etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.