Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hochstedler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Hello,

I've got a little issue with time machine and doing something stupid on my part. I have seen different posts on this question, but none that seem to work across the board, and I've tried a few already.

A few weeks back I found that there were some files and folders that were getting backed up to time machine that I didn't want getting backed up for various reasons. Rather than go and remove the individual folder and files like several websites suggest, I removed the whole backup for that date to the trash bin. I know, bad choice.

I've tried to empty trash bin and delete the backups altogether, but error codes and permissions keep me from doing that. Space isn't an issue on the external drive I use for Time Machine, so I'd be fine with just getting the files OUT of trash and back into the folder with other backup dates-now that I know how to delete individual files. When I try and drag them back to TM folder from trash, get another error message saying something along the lines of the "drive not being able to be modified".

I've heard of some people using Terminal to remove files, while other folks say that that's dangerous and asking for bigger problems in the OS. So, what are my BEST options? Just want to get locked files out of the trash bin, don't care where they go at this point. Thanks!

jpu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2014
Have you tried emptying the trash securely? Sometimes that helps me when I get "file in use" errors.

You can do this by right clicking on the trash in the dock and holding down option. You should see an option to empty the trash securely vs. what it normally says "empty trash".

gurdjiev

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Also using Snow Leopard, I've got 3 files lodged in a few Time Machine backups of two years ago that have just been recognized by SOPHOS as threats. Last Saturday's scan by SOPHOS is the first anti-virus scan I've done on my 6 Mac's since the first G3 over 20 years ago. SOPHOS found 7 threats and removed 4 but the other three reside in Time Machine backups. Two of which are aimed at Windows OS and so don't really pose a threat. The third I believe to be a graphic made of fonts compressed with other files into a zip file that I don't have anymore. But there they are in the Time Machine and SOPHOS wants me to remove them manually. Time Machine won't let you remove anything.

I'd also like to know if there is a way to just remove the files or that particular backup. The only backup I really ever need is yesterday's.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I'd also like to know if there is a way to just remove the files or that particular backup.
Enter Time Machine "Starwars" interface, right click on the file/folder, you will be offered the choice to delete that particular backup, or all backups of this file/folder.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just want to get locked files out of the trash bin, don't care where they go at this point. Thanks!

Turn off Time Machine then reboot. Now use the free app TrashIt to force empty the trash. Then turn Time Machine back on. You may have broken your Time Machine backup set by pulling that folder out like you did and may be better of just erasing the external drive and starting a new backup.

gurdjiev

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Thanks Bruno09 for the straight forward advice. I haven't ever clicked on the Time Machine controls before or had any need to. :cool:

Hochstedler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
You can use Onyx or Maintenance (much easier to use, same developer).

This will work for Time Machine backups folders put in the trash.

(I recommend using Maintenance : http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php )

Emptying the trash securely will not work for Time Machine backups.

I downloaded this program and ran it, said it fixed issues with the startup disk. But my original problem has not gone away, meaning those backups are still sitting in the trash bin, and I can't delete them or "put back" into the external Time Machine Drive. When I try putting back, I get the error message "The operation can’t be completed because backup items can’t be modified." Can a person CHANGE the permissions of the time machine drive so that it COULD be modified? I don't see what would be harmful at all about putting back a few days of backups, there's an obvious date skipping in the TM folders, I'd just be putting back what I deleted, via the Finder folder (which I now know now is a big no-no). I think before I take Weaselboy's suggestion of using the TrashIt app to remove the backups, I'd rather try and get the backups BACK to TM drive where they belong. Any suggestions or tips?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Did you check the "Trash bin" tickbox in Maintenance ?

I had the very same problem you have with 2 friend's computer and managed to empty the trash using Onyx.

I must say that I did not try with Maintenance, but I think it uses the same commands as Onyx, that's why I recommended Maintenance over Onyx.

Hochstedler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Did you check the "Trash bin" tickbox in Maintenance ?

I had the very same problem you have with 2 friend's computer and managed to empty the trash using Onyx.

I must say that I did not try with Maintenance, but I think it uses the same commands as Onyx, that's why I recommended Maintenance over Onyx.

I just looked and I see no "trash bin" tickbox option in Maintenance window. In fact, this is screen shot of what I see exactly- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9LOEsXXA5DHbW1BSjd3c0R6NWs/edit?usp=sharing

That being said, I'd rather get these backups put BACK into the TIME MACHINE folder with other backups before deleting them all this way. That's why I'm inquiring about permissions issue for Time Machine folder and how it allow me to copy files back.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
OK, I understand now : this version of Maintenance for Snow Leopard does not have the "Trash bin" tickbox.

Later versions (Mountain Lion and Mavericks, at least) do have it, and I think it works the same way as Onyx.

I don't know if you can put back these folders, I would say you can not.

Onyx will be able to empty the Trash bin, for sure.

Hochstedler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
OK, I understand now : this version of Maintenance for Snow Leopard does not have the "Trash bin" tickbox.

Later versions (Mountain Lion and Mavericks, at least) do have it, and I think it works the same way as Onyx.

I don't know if you can put back these folders, I would say you can not.

Onyx will be able to empty the Trash bin, for sure.

Thanks Bruno09. So there's no way of tricking the finder folder that contains my TM backups to let me put those folders back? I have even tried changing the Sharing and Permissions options for this area, with no luck. One thing I HAVEN't tried yet that I still might before throwing in the towel and using TrashIt, is booting from installation dvd disc and running Disk Utility from there, trying to repair my main internal drive with OS. Will try that now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.