Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrappydog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
Upgraded to Sonoma... now when I try to run a time machine backup it fails every time:

"Some of the files on you Mac cannot be backed up until Cloud Files syncing has completed"

If I go into photos is says:

"Syncing with iCloud Paused
Mac needs to Cool Down"

Note: the Mac just restarted COLD and the fan is not running...

Ideas?

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I'm getting the same message about Time Machine, but my photo library is fully synced. After the upgrade, I found that my iCloud Drive files were re-downloading instead of already using the copies that were there pre-upgrade. Gave me a slight heart attack when it came back up and my Desktop was empty!

Files are mostly back now, and I assume it just needs to wait for things to finish downloading. Navigating to iCloud Drive in Finder does indicate download/sync activity is still happening so I'll just continue to let it do its thing.

Reactions: scrappydog

Icelus

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Might have to do with the "Optimize Mac Storage" option.
If you have Optimize Mac Storage turned off, Sonoma now enforces the rules as they should have been all along, and won’t let you evict files. This is a long-standing bug that has been fixed at last. As explained in the Help book for Cirrus, if you disable Optimize Mac Storage, then all your files stored in iCloud should also be stored locally. That’s good news for when you want to search them, or back them up. However, enforcement of this may come as a surprise to those who have come to rely on the bug.

Reactions: bankshot

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I do have Optimize Mac Storage turned off, and yeah - the bug described was very frustrating on Ventura! Glad to see it's now fixed and behaving as expected.

As for Time Machine, I let the machine sit overnight and just connected my backup drive. Looks like the backup is proceeding normally now.

oyaprem

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Berlin/Germany
Time machine backup.
Some of the files on your Mac cannot be added to the backup until the cloud files sync is complete.

There was a suggestion to log out from Apple ID and after this to login again.
After that so it was written in the suggestion the Backup should start. But that is not so.
Also optimize Mac Storage is turned off.
After logging out with Apple ID I have a folder in my User account "iCloud Drive (Archiv) - 1"
Maybe some solution?

oyaprem

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Berlin/Germany
Solved.
I had to wait till icloud drive was loading everything on computer, then timemachine started working.
After that optimize Mac Storage turned on again, copied the iclud-archive extern and deleted it in Userfolder, so far so good:)

Last edited:
Reactions: ignatius345

oyaprem

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Berlin/Germany
People love to throw this out as if it's some kind of good troubleshooting step. It's not. It's incredibly disruptive and can take many hours or even days to recover from. I consider it a last resort.
Which suggestion would you have given for the not working time machine backup after upgrading from Ventura to Sonoma?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Which suggestion would you have given for the not working time machine backup after upgrading from Ventura to Sonoma?
Not sure! I'm dealing with this issue myself. But I can tell you resetting iCloud would be one of my last resorts.

DamonOrl

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2020
Seeing this issue too. Upgraded to Sonoma Saturday morning and left my 2020 Intel iMac up all weekend as of Sunday night no backups and still synching. The documents folder under iCloud Drive says it’s downloading. Can’t see what it’s downloading as it hasn’t downloaded anything since Sunday morning and that was just one file. iCloud Drive says it synced 18hrs ago.

Last edited:

oyaprem

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Berlin/Germany
Seeing this issue too. Upgraded to Sonoma Saturday morning and left my 2020 Intel iMac up all weekend as of Sunday night no backups and still synching. The documents folder under iCloud Drive says it’s downloading. Can’t see what it’s downloading as it hasn’t downloaded anything since Sunday morning and that was just one file.
Read please how in my case it was successful, I also did not like to logout from iCloud, but I had no other idea then the suggestions in this thread.
Has to do also with optimize Mac Storage off and after the procedere again Mac Storage on.
At least in my case all this worked.

Last edited:

DamonOrl

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2020
Read please how in my case it was successful, I also did not like to logout from iCloud, but I had no other idea then the suggestions in this thread.
Has to do also with optimize Mac Storage off and after the procedere again Mac Storage on.
At least in my case all this worked.
I did read and that is not my case. Optimize Mac storage was off before Sonoma and it’s still off. There has been no sync from Icloud drive in over a day now. I’ll just wait it out another day or so

DamonOrl

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2020
After investigating a bit more I noticed that the documents folder claimed it was downloading and had the cloud icon, yet there were no documents with a cloud. In fact, all the documents in iCloud were on my Mac, which implied that the folder status was out of sync with the file status.
Online I read a post about removing/renaming the CloudDocs folder under Application Support and immediately rebooting to cause the sync to restart.
This worked for me, my Mac immediately re-synced, finished and Time Machine immediately started.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
I back up via Time Machine to a NAS. The backups stopped working as soon as I upgraded to Sonoma 14.0. I couldn’t manually start a backup either. I disconnected the backup drive in Time Machine Settings and when I tried selecting it again, it wouldn’t connect. Instead, the dialog window would freeze. I’ve tried it several times after force quitting the Settings and I also rebooted the Mac. Still the Time Machine backup drive couldn’t be connected. This connection occurs automatically via SMB. So, finally I mounted the same network share in Finder via AFP and then selected this network share in Time Machine settings as a backup drive. And the Time Machine backups started working. I’m sure there is an SMB bug in Sonoma 14.0.

Last edited:

DamonOrl

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2020
I back up via Time Machine to a NAS. The backups stopped working as soon as I upgraded to Sonoma 14.0. I couldn’t manually start a backup either. I disconnected the backup drive in Time Machine Settings and when I tried selecting it again, it wouldn’t connect. Instead, the dialog window would freeze. I’ve tried it several times after force quitting the Settings and I also rebooted the Mac. Still the Time Machine backup drive couldn’t be connected. This connection occurs automatically via SMB. So, finally I mounted the same network share in Finder via AFP and then selected this network share in Time Machine settings as a backup drive. And the Time Machine backups started working. I’m sure there is an SMB bug in Sonoma 14.0.
There’s an issue with external drives mapping others are seeing. I have the issue, I have to manually map my drives via the command line, I used to be able to do it in recovery mode, but that stopped working.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
There’s an issue with external drives mapping others are seeing. I have the issue, I have to manually map my drives via the command line, I used to be able to do it in recovery mode, but that stopped working.
Windows user?

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
The day Sonoma released, all my iCloud Doc and Desktop were gone. It started to redownload everything, but it got hung up.

I was hours into unable to do any works due to they were stuck in sync or unable to download.

My solution was getting into iCloud website or reset the iCloud and slowly sync each files back. It was a pain whole day recovery. I don't know what is up with iCloud – I just downgrade it and end up doing local back up instead. Not worth my time and effort. Right now, Time Machine + sync to Backblaze B2 or Amazon S3 bucket.

I have 1Gbps fiber internet and 10gbit network hardwares.

wills11

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
People love to throw this out as if it's some kind of good troubleshooting step. It's not. It's incredibly disruptive and can take many hours or even days to recover from. I consider it a last resort.
Great point—I completely agree that Apple has made signing out/in of iCloud incredibly tedious.

Given how frequently it's suggested—and perhaps even necessary to solve iCloud issues—isn't there some way they could make it a little less painful and confusing?

Why not have an option for "Sign out of iCloud Temporarily" which would keep everything exactly the same as before and not require one to decide whether to keep local copies of everything, to merge them, etc.?

Incidentally, my Time Machine backup is working, but since upgrading to Sonoma, I'm suddenly getting Syncing with iCloud Paused Mac Needs to Cool Down errors. And as is apparent from iStat Menu temperature sensors, nothing is especially hot.

CleanShot 2023-10-09 at 17.38.17.png

Reactions: ignatius345

och

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2019
Upgraded to Sonoma, and my google drive broke - it downloaded a duplicate of each file, adding (1) to the end of file name. Did a clean reinstall of Sonoma, and now at the very least my photo library is presented with "syncing with icloud paused, mac needs to cool down" message and its been stuck like that for several days. Everything else seems to have been updated.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
2020 27" iMac.
3.6 GHz 10 core Intel.
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.
128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Sonoma/Time Machine backing up to LaCie 5TB HHD over USB 3 is STILL taking over an Hour to do ONE backup!
I'm relegated to DAILY backups that take forever.
Prior to the upgrade, Time Machine worked hourly backups smoothly.
NO help from Apple.
Anyone have suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.