Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donnie.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
Is anyone else experiencing Time Machine problems with the .1 update? This is what I'm seeing:

• The normal prompt pops up requesting the password to enable use of the Time Machine disk, which is encrypted
  • Upon putting the correct password in, there is no response for several seconds; then the prompt disappears and the Time Machine disk subsequently disappears from the desktop
  • After a moment the disk remounts again on the desktop, but this error message pops up:
8d64d1a8-e6c2-4eb8-ac30-7fe2e3faf314

Everything was working normally before the update.
I've tried ejecting/disconnecting/reconnecting the drive and restarting multiple times. (Luckly I have a second backup Time Machine disk if this backup is ruined.)

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Have you run Disk First Aid on it? Does your second TM disk behave the same way?

donnie.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did run Disk First Aid, and it was unable to repair. I've subsequently erased and reformatted the disk and have Time Machine running successfully on it.

The second disk never showed problems. But it was not connected to the Mac at the time of the update—not sure if it would have been affected or not if it had been.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did run Disk First Aid, and it was unable to repair. I've subsequently erased and reformatted the disk and have Time Machine running successfully on it.

The second disk never showed problems. But it was not connected to the Mac at the time of the update—not sure if it would have been affected or not if it had been.
Thanks for the follow up. I was waiting to see if there were others experiencing the same issue before hitting the update button.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
While I have had such problems in the past, I haven't experienced any problems thus far with Monterey. The problem cited is one that has been around for years and one of the main reasons I stopped trusting TM.
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones then. Since it was introduced, I've never had an issue with Time Machine.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
My two TM disks do not complain, but they are not encrypted. TM disks are not very reliable (surely HFS+ ones). Linking used to make them work seems fragile. I currently cycle through TM disks and always keep only about 2 years of backups on each which seems to be short enough not to have them fail. When I use them longer, I get disk errors and those cannot be fixed, typically. Short version - it may have been coincidental. TM disks are not too reliable.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.