Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Sorry not exactly sure where to post this but here goes.
After updating to Mac OS High Sierra. Time Machine has not had a successful back up since 10/30/2017.

I ignored the issue for a while, now want to upgrade Mac... so I have made several attempts to fix the issue such as:

Updating Airport
Restarting time capsule
Resetting time capsule
Verifying the disk in disk Utility

And a few other things to no
availe.

In a last ditch effort I used my MyCloud NAs.... and that worked.

Question 1. Can I merge my old back ups to my NAS and use this as tho it backed up as before?

Question 2. What the heck happened? And can I still use the time capsule?

(Time Capsule had lots of space)

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
No errors, just two disks in time capsules preferences and remove the “ghost” one and select the real one. It prepares for back up and never does. It stops.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
I wouldn't try to merge backups, the images have an index that gets updated with each backup, so dropping files from another backup into the image would seem to be a recipe for a mess.

You might try:

Have you changed the password on the TC Disk? If so, remove the disk from TM Preferences, then re-add it and choose to use the existing image.

Verify the backup. If you don't already have the menu bar icon for TM, enable it in TM preferences. Then Option+Click the icon and select Verify backup. If the backup image has become corrupt, it will inform you if you need to create a new backup, and will erase the old one for you. Of course, the new backup will take time.

Run First Aid on the Time Machine disk in Disk Utility.

On your Mac, turn TM off, remove the disk from preferences and then remove the backups from the disk. Using Disk Utility, reformat the Time Capsule disk then start a fresh backup. To be safe, you might try keeping a copy of the old image, at least temporarily.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
OK, thank you guys. Guess I am stuck with an extra back up image. But will go through as much of my old stuff as I can and verify all is there and just use my NAS as back up for now.

bringel

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
I too am having issues with this 10.13.3 update with most of the issues having to do with the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme functionality.
1) My printer which is USB connected to my Airport has quit working and I can not seem to get it working again.
2) Airport Utility (6.3.8) on my MacBook Pro no longer shows the Airport graphic on the main screen. It does show up using Airport Utility on my IOS iPhone,
3) My Time Machine backups have quit working to my Time Capsule. It comes back with an error message that says it is unable to find the disk when I try to kick off a manual backup.
4) My internet access mostly hangs for a very long time when I try to access web sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.