Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watcher00090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Hi,

I'm using MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra on a late 2012 Macbook Pro. I was thinking of using Time Machine to back up the computer to a external hard drive.

Is there any way to configure Time Machine to never delete the oldest backup snapshots? I have heard (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6721265?answerId=27298177022#27298177022 ) that Time Machine will delete the oldest backup snapshots to make way for a new backup if there is not enough space on the target volume. I would prefer to have Time Machine not back up at all in such a scenario rather than delete the oldest snapshots to make way for a newer snapshot.

Thank you,
James Pedersen

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you providing enough space for a Time Machine drive?
The usual recommendation for a Time Machine backup drive is double the size of your boot drive

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
I use a 4 TB ext disk as a Time Machine for a base Mini M1. After the first full (?) backup, I turned off the automatic backup and only turn it on in the rare case I install a new app. However, all user’s data are in the cloud, and the TM disk has storage space for long time use.

The OS will warn you well before TM starts deleting, thus you will have plenty of time to unplug the TM disk and connect a new one.

watcher00090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Right but will Time Machine warn me (for instance with a popup message which asks if I want to continue) that it's about to delete a backup when backing up prior to backing up to a hard drive which is low on space?

It would be really great if it would give me some sort of indication that this is what it is about to do before it does it, so that I can then decide whether to proceed or not based on that information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.