Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elotloteo

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2019
London
Thanks for your reply.
I restrained from opening the Mail app for a day and my backup is down to 150MB! I guess it is time for some serious clean-up... :)

My problem goes back ~18 months, and I have a new Mac since. But I would say my average TM backup is probably about 250mb now.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Thanks for your reply.
I restrained from opening the Mail app for a day and my backup is down to 150MB! I guess it is time for some serious clean-up... :)
I dare to guess: It's time for some smart excluding.
I dropped use of Time Machine for snapshots of the few files I am working on.
One of the advantages of that approach is that the backup is coherent:
new files and old files together as they 'were'.
With Time Machine it can be cumbersome to collect all past sources that formed a project.
Anyway: any backup method is better than none.
;JOOP!

Elotloteo

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2019
London
I dare to guess: It's time for some smart excluding.
I dropped use of Time Machine for snapshots of the few files I am working on.
One of the advantages of that approach is that the backup is coherent:
new files and old files together as they 'were'.
With Time Machine it can be cumbersome to collect all past sources that formed a project.
Anyway: any backup method is better than none.
;JOOP!

I'm glad to say that my backup size been behaving quite well, even if i use Mail but don't keep it always open as I used to. Thanks to this thread :)

I don't want to exclude too much, I usually do only the Downloads folder. I tend to treat a MacBook as an expendable item as it can get lost, stolen or damaged at any time, and I have a reaaaaaly customised setup, legacy apps, drivers etc. and would like to have everything back as it was asap. TM has never let me down, so far... touching wood. Sits on my server and syncs over wi-fi or cable, avoiding a hustle with external drives falling on the floor when you move...

Any 2 backup methods are better than 1 :) All my most recent/important files sit in iCloud Drive therefore are backed-up off-site in real-time, just in case. Just heard too many stories of people loosing all their work due to their laptop being stolen.

For projects I use Git version control, but it isn't very good for large or binary files such as images, so I'm trying to keep a clear directory structure of such... trying is a keyword ;-)

Last edited:

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
I'm getting 1-2 GB backup size every backup, without saving a single file. I always assumed it was due to an incoming email triggering an entire email archive to be re-backed up. Would be great to resolve this as it is very wasteful of resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.