Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I have an external HDD for use with Time Machine. Normally it turns to the green Time Machine icon as I view it from my desktop. Lately (maybe since I upgraded to Mavericks) it's been left as the default orange USB icon:

orangetm.png

The only way I can get it to change is by going to Time Machine preferences, clicking Select Disk, and selecting it from the list again. It then changes to this:

greentm.png

It stays until I reboot, then switches back to the default orange icon. Is there a way to fix this?

marko566

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Germany
If I boot with connected TM-HDD the icon is correct (Green), but when i unplug und Plugin the Disk again the icon is the wrong yellow One.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
If I boot with connected TM-HDD the icon is correct (Green), but when i unplug und Plugin the Disk again the icon is the wrong yellow One.

Mine still doesn't show up correctly when it's connected and I reboot.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Its because it's not using it as the time machine backup disk. For some reason it sounds like its not saving your settings

gr997s

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
I have an external HDD for use with Time Machine. Normally it turns to the green Time Machine icon as I view it from my desktop. Lately (maybe since I upgraded to Mavericks) it's been left as the default orange USB icon:

The only way I can get it to change is by going to Time Machine preferences, clicking Select Disk, and selecting it from the list again. It then changes to this:

It stays until I reboot, then switches back to the default orange icon. Is there a way to fix this?

You need to go into time machine and delete the old "Time Machine" used on previous OS and reselect the new Time Machine drive. Icon will change....

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
You need to go into time machine and delete the old "Time Machine" used on previous OS and reselect the new Time Machine drive. Icon will change....

Done that, and it does change. As soon as I reboot my iMac though, it shows as orange and never turns green again. Time Machine is backing up correctly as well, so I don't know what to think.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I back up with TM to an external HDD, and it always was the orange icon, both in ML and Mavericks. But I only plug mine in when I need to back up.

zvandiver

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
I have the same problem. If I re-select the drive, it will backup normally; if I don't, no backup occurs. Another thread suggested deleting old pre-Mavericks backups. Has anyone here tried that?

mfkf11

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
Time Machine icon (green) missing

I just installed time machine on two drives, thunderbolt and usb. I noticed this issue too and also just upgraded to Yosemite (Disappeared under Maverick), so it's not a Mavericks issue.
The TM icon disappears on the usb drive but not the Thunderbolt (maybe because Thunderbolt is listed first in TM). The simple fix for me was the following.
Open each drive with the Get Info.
Click the Green Icon on my Thunderbolt and under Finder/Edit/Copy.
Click the orange icon on my USB and under Finder/Edit/Paste

Now the USB drive has the Green Icon.

slyfox102

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2010
South Carolina
It tells you when it is actually backing up

I have the same thing happening. So when it turned orange I clicked on the icon on the top of the screen and it showed Time Machine was backing up. When it was finished backing up it turned green again. The next time it never turned green after backing up. Strange, and how do I know if it really backed up??? FathomHD.png

FathomHD-.png

Last edited:

mfkf11

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
It tells you when it is actually backing up

The way I know is to enter into Time Machine Preferences (I would click the preference and have it display in my menu bar. If it is in the menu bar just right click it). In the window it will tell you the last backup date and time. I haven't seen any problems with back ups just with the icon losing the green TM icon. You can also go into Finder and see the times and folders of your back-ups.

Beltor

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
I have found it?

I recently set up TM with a Seagate USB 3.0 External drive to my iMac. After set up the green Time Machine Icon showed on the drive icon but after I rebooted the icon disappeared and turned yellow.

To fix this I went into Get Info for the external drive and under the "Preview:" section it showed the TM icon, which I clicked and dragged to the top of Get Info and overlayed the yellow icon. All good now :)

Reactions: CartoonCat

Moshe Feder

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Fixed!

To fix this I went into Get Info for the external drive and under the "Preview:" section it showed the TM icon, which I clicked and dragged to the top of Get Info and overlayed the yellow icon. All good now :)

Thanks, Beltor! Your simple solution has worked for me. :)

badbluesman

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
California
I have found it?

I recently set up TM with a Seagate USB 3.0 External drive to my iMac. After set up the green Time Machine Icon showed on the drive icon but after I rebooted the icon disappeared and turned yellow.

badbluesman

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
California

I have the same problem after upgrading to El Capitan. I recommend that everyone with this problem go to Apple Feedback for OS X and make a bug report.

I had the same bug after upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mavericks (Apple's worst OS in years). I was never able to fix it, But When I upgraded to Yosemite, it fixed everything. Now, with my recent upgrade to El Capitan, all the Mavericks bugs are back.

I tried your fix, but under properties, i see no green TM icon. Cannot get a green icon at all. Tried deleting and then adding the drive in Time Machine preferences, no dice.

badbluesman

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
California
i have this problem now in el capitan?.

I have the same problem after upgrading to El Capitan. I recommend that everyone with this problem go to Apple Feedback for OS X and make a bug report.

I had the same bug after upgrading from Mountain Lion to Mavericks (Apple's worst OS in years). I was never able to fix it, But When I upgraded to Yosemite, it fixed everything. Now, with my recent upgrade to El Capitan, all the Mavericks bugs are back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.