Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossH51

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2016
I have upgraded to 2020 iMac. Time Machine came over in Migration and at first use allowed me to Inherit Backup from previous machine (2015 iMac on Catalina). When I run TM I can see older backups on the right hand bar but they are all a lighter red shade. Clicking on them does not access the ™ backup. Backups made on new iMac with ™ working normally.
Any suggestions on changes to allow access?

DamonOrl

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2020
I think something similar happened to me when I bought my 2017 iMac. I ended up blowing the entire backup away and started from scratch with the new iMac. I bought a 2020 iMac I’m waiting on. I’ll probably do the same on that, if I see issues. I actually have two Time Machine drives now, as my first one is getting up there in years and makes some noises every so often.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I've never used TM and do not intend to. I much prefer having up to date cloned copies of my drive. Much easier to restore and/or transfer.

RossH51

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2016
I've never used TM and do not intend to. I much prefer having up to date cloned copies of my drive. Much easier to restore and/or transfer.

My alternate backup is Carbon Copy Clone, which is working well fortunately! But TM is very convenient for the occasional older file. It has lost usefulness with the inability to directly recover mail items. It can be done but is more difficult indirectly.

I will probably start from scratch again if no-one here has any suggestions that work.

RossH51

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2016
While in the Time Machine interface, try typing Shift-Command-C (Finder's shortcut for Go-->Computer).

I had backups once that seemed inaccessible until someone told me that trick. It worked for me.
That works. It is a little indirect but works perfectly. Thank you.
One odd thing is that on Restore it asks about re-creating original Enclosing Folder or New location. Choosing Recreate seems to simply put it in original location on current folder.

All good.

Reactions: Brian33

Tkdmdc

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
While in the Time Machine interface, try typing Shift-Command-C (Finder's shortcut for Go-->Computer).

I had backups once that seemed inaccessible until someone told me that trick. It worked for me.
This was a giant revelation. Thank you so much.

Tkdmdc

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2019
That works. It is a little indirect but works perfectly. Thank you.
One odd thing is that on Restore it asks about re-creating original Enclosing Folder or New location. Choosing Recreate seems to simply put it in original location on current folder.

All good.
Would you be able to expand on this? I am quite nervous about touching the backups. Did this eliminate the need down the road for the Shift Command C trick?

RossH51

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2016
Hmm....this was a couple of years ago! Had to think about it. Just tried it again on MacOSVentura on 2020 iMac. The same key combination makes the major Partitions visible on the chosen date ie MacHD, MacHD(Data) and Recovery. Navigate to the file you want and Restore. I chose New Directory rather than Recreate and picked Desktop from choices and it worked perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.