Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Ever since upgrading to Mojave, Time Machine backs up my entire /Users/myuser/Safari/LocalStorage/ (which is ~800 mb) every hour it runs. I noticed this by running:
sudo fs_usage -f -R filesys backupd

It's backing up very old files that haven't changed in over a year. This either never happened on High Sierra and below, or it didn't try to backup the entire folder every hour.

It's very annoying because I hear my external hd spin up and run for a while. Is there any reason I shouldn't exclude this folder from Time Machine backups? When I go to add it as an exclusion, there's a little red mark in the corner of that file.

Or should I try something else entirely?

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
A few things to check:

First, I presume you mean `~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage`

Second, what's in that directory that's so large? (fwiw, mine is a tiny 2.2Mb in size.)

Third, it might be worth switching on the `Develop` menu item (see Prefs/Advanced) and running `Empty Caches`.

Observation: When I looked in that directory, I found a long ago deleted extension; so, I simply manually deleted it from the directory, since it no longer appears in Safari.

HTH

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.