Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
US
Hello,

I upgraded 2017 MBP to HS (and AFPS). I have ~550Gb on 1TB drive. In 24 hours I am left with 40Gb free, rest is in /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupd (~400Gb)

I thought I'll just disable local backups as I found on line, but that keyword does not seem to be on my OSX 10.13 available.

How do I get my space back? It looks to me like the TM created on my APFS whole backup copy of my data folder.

Note, that I use 3 different TM disks - but all three made backup in the last 24 hours.

I chat with Apple but they were really not helpful. They said the TM local snapshots should be removed after backup. Well, they were not - backup just finished before I started to look into this. But these are not the real local snapshots (I removed those using tmutil deletelocalsnapshots), this is real Backps.backupd directory on my local drive.

Edit: May be fixed. I used Finder and went to /Volumes/ and deleted the Time machine Backups folder. I think it was somehow created when TM was suppose to backup to my Airport connected backup drive and may be network went down? It was created overnight, when that back-up was running.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.