Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hi. I have been running OS X 10.11.4 (beta) on my 21" iMac (2013). Its been running sluggishly, so I decided to revert to 10.11.3. Made a boot drive and did a clean install of the OS. Before I did that, I made one last backup using Time Machine. This was on top of the regular hourly backups.

When the OS reinstalled, the installer routine asked if I wanted to restore from a backup. I checked that and told it to use the backup I had made just before wiping and reinstalling. This morning, when I booted up the machine, I discovered that Time Machine had not restored any of my applications.

I've done the clean install thing before and the last time (about 9 months ago) I similarly restored from Time Machine, with no issues.

Has Time Machine changed in El Cap so that it no longer backs up apps? If so, can I turn something back on so it will? As for my applications, can I selectively "go back in time" and reinstall them? Or will I need to reinstall each?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.