Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hi all

it's occurred to me I've never had to install from a backup after a total data hardware loss before.

Background: Last week I experimented with making my M2 MPB water cooled and this did not at all go well for me or the machine. The M2 is currently in Apple hospital and parts are on order, extremely likely the logic board (and my data) will be replaced. In the past I just removed the SATA HDD or SSD and/ or used external enclosures.

I have multiple encrypted backups with both Super Duper and Time Machine on NVMe SSD's and HDD and these updated only 2 hrs prior to the tragic demise. The data is quite organized without any garbage on it so am not interested in porting it manually. So would most here agree to try Time Machine for the most automated process? And if so, I'll likely be greeted with the latest Sonoma OS (as are my backups), and plugging the external in immediately when greeted with the "welcome screen" will prompt to restore immediately? Or will I need to set the basics i.e. language, iCloud, WiFi first and then be invited to use a TM backup afterwards?

For now I'm glad I kept this, my 2009 MBP, for such unexpected and most unfortunate events.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd suggest trying the SuperDuper backup first.

Connect it BEFORE you start setup.
When setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate from another drive, "point the way" to the SD backup and give SA time to "digest" everything.

I suggest you migrate everything. Just turn SD loose and let it do its job.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Last week I experimented with making my M2 MPB water cooled and this did not at all go well for me or the machine.
I’m actually fascinated by this statement. Can you post details or links for this process? Or are you being facetious and you actually spilled liquid on your M2 MBP?

2adOpin2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
A year or two ago, I had a software update fail on my laptop resulting in Apple service needing to wipe the drive and reset. Used a Time Machine backup to restore. After following the on screen instructions when restarting the computer and then waiting for a couple of hours while the backup loaded, the machine restarted and all was identical to the time of the last backup prior to the wipe. This was pre Sonoma so I can't comment on whether Time Machine restores will go as well with Sonoma. If the Time Machine restore considers the repaired computer to be a new device, the old backups will need to 'inherited' to allow access to all the previous backups.

Reactions: gilby101

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
I'd suggest trying the SuperDuper backup first.

Connect it BEFORE you start setup.
When setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate from another drive, "point the way" to the SD backup and give SA time to "digest" everything.

I suggest you migrate everything. Just turn SD loose and let it do its job.
Gotcha. Connect prior to set-up, am obviously trying to avoid having two (user) data disks show.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
If the Time Machine restore considers the repaired computer to be a new device, the old backups will need to 'inherited' to allow access to all the previous backups.
An interesting point and I've no idea if the encrypted backups will pick up on the same serial number being present.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Time Machine is easiest. Install macOS and use Migration Assistant to recover all your apps, settings and data from your TM disk. And you can get help from Apple if you run into issues.

Reactions: Brian33

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Time Machine is easiest. Install macOS and use Migration Assistant to recover all your apps, settings and data from your TM disk. And you can get help from Apple if you run into issues.
Yup. So would you advise to have the TM backup drive to be hooked up already prior to the "welcome" screen greeting me? Or it doesn't matter and Migration Assistant will kick in as soon as language, WiFi, etc is set up first. I'm obviously trying to avoid having 2 x Data user disks on the new install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.