Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ger19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
I've been using Time Machine since I got my computer in January. I have it backing up once per day. I have a 1T HDD that I use. It has about 86GB of data stored so far.

What does it do if it runs out of space? Does it start dropping the oldest date at some point?

If I deleted the very first back up (or the first few), does that ruin the backup? i.e. are all the files incremental or are they all a full backup?

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Are all the files incremental or are they all a full backup?
Both! New files are copied, previous files are "linked". The details are different for HFS+ and APFS.

The end result is the best of both worlds, only new files are copied, but each snapshot is a full stand-alone representation of all files.

That said, I still wouldn't start manually messing about with the Time Machine backup folder. Apple's solutions work best when used as intended.

Apple's solutions can also be inflexible. If you want more control over the backup process and what to keep you should use something else for your backups.

Last edited:
Reactions: ger19
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.