Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all,

My university gives me free 1 TB storage in Microsoft OneDrive. Would it be possible for me to use this as a Time Machine backup drive? Could I configure Time Machine to use OneDrive instead of using a physical external hard drive?

Thank you!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
There are hacks to use Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. as the backup target, but I don't recommend it.

Instead, identify your biggest data hogs (typically Documents, Music (iTunes), or Photos) and sync them to the cloud instead.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I am pretty sure that in the very near future you will be able to use TM to backup to iCloud. I am not as confident with other online cloud based storage. I base this on the fact that Apple is doing away with Time Capsule as they will likely move to an iCloud based TM option (so you will buy more space).

I love my Time Capsule and backing up wirelessly, just got it, but they surely going to offer iCloud in the future.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am pretty sure that in the very near future you will be able to use TM to backup to iCloud.

Perhaps not Time Machine, but iCloud is backing up more and more with each update. macOS High Sierra backs up System Preferences (and eventually Messages).

I think one of the next steps is backing up and restoring all the apps and their data from Mac App Store, leaving only non-sandboxed apps and data.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Perhaps not Time Machine, but iCloud is backing up more and more with each update. macOS High Sierra backs up System Preferences (and eventually Messages).

I think one of the next steps is backing up and restoring all the apps and their data from Mac App Store, leaving only non-sandboxed apps and data.
That would be nice. On a side note, I wish they would turn iMessage back on. I really liked the syncing in Beta 1/2.

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
I use iCloud Drive to backup everything except my applications. I put the original files in iCloud Drive, then make alias folders on my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.