Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Hey guys I need to consolidate the remote situation…

Which harmony is the most logical choice to play nice with the ATV and still work great with other devices?

What advanced features are worth the extra coin and which can be kicked to the curb as just neat and shinny?

I checked all the equipment that I am concerned about and all seem good….

Anyone want to comment on the ergonomics of the device? Does it feel good in your hand?

I have read issues with timing on the remote for the ATV, and this is the device I am most concerned about it working with…

Do the recommended “Pairing AppleTV and Harmony Remote” settings work correctly or do some still have problems with it?

Any comments on any of these questions from those that have gone down this route?

Right now I think the 550 has everything I require though I wouldn’t mind spending a few extra bucks if it is worth it to get a “better” model if it will facilitate upgrades and or is worth the cost for the feature.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I have the 550 and the 880 in the Harmony series. The 550 is used in the other room, but I don't necessarily see the 880 as that big of an upgrade. I bought it when it was on sale for around the same price as the 550.

Your 550 should work fine with the AppleTV (mine did), but I did not follow the instructions here on the website exactly as they did not work quite as well as I'd hoped. Instead of the "Mac Mini etc etc etc" I just put in AppleTV and it worked fine.

mdburke

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2008
You can get the 880 from buy.com for $92 (after rebate) right now. Seems like the way to go for the price. However, I have the 550 and it's been great.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Ditto on the Harmony One. I've used two older Harmonys (including the 880/885) as well as a Home Theater Master MX-700, and I can say that The One is the finest I've ever owned. It gets great reviews (do a google search), and many people seem to feel it is one of the finest universal remotes available today. The only detractors seem to be people with very complex home theater setups, who need more programming control than Harmony's web-based system allows.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I am getting the 1000, but it is just a toy. I currently have the 550 for ATV and it work great. I think all harmony remotes are the same as for what they can control, but ti depends on style or IR control, etc. I have heard really good things on the harmony one.

nosaj070

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2007
I recently picked up a Harmony One and could not be happier with it. I bought a cheaper harmony model a year or so ago and was extremely disapointed with it however this has been very easy to use and it is so nice to have one remote control the atv as well as my receiver.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Well thanks for all your input guys, this is exactly what I wanted to hear…well mostly.

I think the 550 or similar would work great for me, but there are many glowing reports from the one that it must be a joy to use as opposed to just filling the gap from my interpretation?

It sounds like if it had BT support people would nary have a gripe.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Depending on your room layout, I'd recommend the models that support the RF extender (890, 1000 and maybe others now). The regular IR models can be frustrating if the signal "misses" a device when changing activities. Since you don't have to point the RF models, they are much more reliable in keeping the devices all in sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.