Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
iPhone6s, maybe a thousand battery charge cycles. Yep, it's old. I get only about an hour of work time with it. BUT, Battery Health gives me 96% of "maximum capacity" which, I understand does NOT mean a replacement should be needed.

On the one hand, it looks like I need a new battery. On the other hand, it doesn't. What gives?

Oh, and I get many hours of time on it with a Mophie battery pack.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I can't say that a battery replacement would even be worth it at this point. You've certainly got a good amount of use out of it if it's still up and running. If you're trying to stay within a smaller budget, the price difference between a battery replacement and upgrading to the newer iPhone SE might be something to consider. Same form factor with a dramatic upgrade on the internals which will certainly be noticed even if you're a casual user.

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Funny how you ask a question and you get answers to another question. Forums are like that. This is NOT a question of what I should do. I don't need help with that question. It's a question of what's going on.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Funny how you ask a question and you get answers to another question. Forums are like that. This is NOT a question of what I should do. I don't need help with that question. It's a question of what's going on.
From what you described, it sounds like your battery is shot. With that conclusion, I posted what was a logical step forward.

Do you have any other snarky replies to offer?

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Your logical step forward was not a logical answer to my question. Now you've decided to answer it. I'm still trying to understand that if my battery is shot, why doesn't Battery Health seem to know it?

Focus, and chill.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Battery health is not an accurate reading. It’s a best guess approach to where your battery is. Sometimes that guess is spot on. Other times it’s way off. You already stated it has been cycled 1000 times. Apple has stated in the past that their batteries are rated at 500/80%. So, you should replace the battery if you desire tip top performance.

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Thank you. I guess I have to assume that Battery Health tells me if there are reasons why my battery is bad, but won't tell me all the reasons that it might be bad. That's important to know.

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
My iPhone 6s was at 86% health and it drove me crazy how fast it went through a charge. I made an appointment at Best Buy to replace the battery but was told that their policy is 75% or less. I ended up selling it and buying an iPhone 11 which is a huge upgrade.

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Duh? Best Buy can tell you NOT to replace your battery? What I've learned is that Battery Health is not a perfect indicator of battery health. It looks at some indicators, and can identify a bad battery, but evidently doesn't look at all of them. It seems you can have a pile-of-junk battery, and Battery Health will be quite happy with it. Funny we don't hear more about that.

Reactions: The1andOnly

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Ignore the battery health app. It's worthless and unreliable.
The time to get a new battery is when it's at least 2 years old and clearly doesn't last as long as it used to AND charges a lot faster than it used to.
When a battery ages due to use and age, its capacity dimininishes. It essentially becomes a smaller and smaller battery. The smaller the battery, (and worn out) the faster it charges with a 5 watt charger

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
"Ignore the battery health app. It's worthless and unreliable."

Precisely what I'm learning. No question that an old battery is going to lose performance. The question is why Battery Health is telling me it's fine.

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Well, it's interesting. I replaced the battery, and everything seems to be fixed. Of some interest is that the charging time is greatly increased. This says to me that the old battery had declined to the point that there just wasn't that much to charge. So much for "Battery Health." I have to assume that some fragment of the old battery was considered healthy.

Reactions: JPack

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well, it's interesting. I replaced the battery, and everything seems to be fixed. Of some interest is that the charging time is greatly increased. This says to me that the old battery had declined to the point that there just wasn't that much to charge. So much for "Battery Health." I have to assume that some fragment of the old battery was considered healthy.
Is it an OEM battery?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Basically, what @JPack and @GeeMillz22 stated.

There are unknowns to the process, such as how exactly and often current full/peak mAh are measured, and the "Design" capacity is just that, what the battery manufacturer's target charge capacity is for the specific model (i.e. estimate/average). So, indeed the health calculation results are not guaranteed accurate. In other words, the logic you initially asked to verify is correct, gauging battery "health" based on cycle count and age is the best simple assessment, even though it's also an estimation.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
iPhone6s, maybe a thousand battery charge cycles. Yep, it's old. I get only about an hour of work time with it. BUT, Battery Health gives me 96% of "maximum capacity" which, I understand does NOT mean a replacement should be needed.

On the one hand, it looks like I need a new battery. On the other hand, it doesn't. What gives?

Oh, and I get many hours of time on it with a Mophie battery pack.
Replace the battery it’s time

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
There never really was much question about the need to replace the battery. The "what gives" question was WHY does "Battery Health" say it's healthy, if it's not. The conclusion seems to be that charge cycles and age are a much better assessment of battery health than Battery Health. By the same token, I have to assume that the amount of memory used is better assessed by how much I like movies than Storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.