Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsbug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Kansas
Hi all,

My mid-2007 (2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) experienced a crash hard drive last week. Not an upsetting experience because it was getting old and I had anticipated something like this, so I have everything stored on an external. Simply purchased/installed a new 320 GB HD and everything is running smoothly again.

The reason I purchased the new HD was to up the resale value on the computer so I could upgrade to a new computer. I ordered an 11.6" MB Air last week from the Online Apple Store and much to my surprise and chagrin I do not like it. It really is a lovely little machine but I guess I prefer something with some substance. As soon as I fixed my old MB, I was back on it though I had a MB Air at my disposal as well. I'm sending the MB Air back, definitely.

As far as my original MB is concerned, I am still running Tiger and thus running into a lot of compatibility issues with new versions of iTunes, Safari, well ... any software you can think of, really. It is blatantly obvious that I need to hop on the Snow Leopard train. However, I am concerned that the same thing is going to happen after I have Snow Leopard for a while and it becomes obsolete like Tiger-- the issues with upgrades etc. I know that my MB can't run Lion (or at least can't run it comfortably) with its 1 GB of RAM.

That's where you guys come in. Thoughts on whether I should bite the bullet and upgrade to a new computer? I wouldn't mind a MB Pro, but I'm not lusting after one. I'm actually a bit wary since my brother has one and the logic board went out a month out of warranty (ouch). My concern is I will keep this MB so long that by the time I'm ready to move on it has no resale value or something will abruptly go haywire or the processor speed won't be up to handling programs that are a given for new models. I really don't use the computer rigorously, just Skype, Rosetta Stone, Word, and surfing the web.

I think essentially I need to know this:

- How long are these babies designed to last? I have not had one problem since I received it in June 2007, will this trend continue?

- Should I upgrade RAM so I can install Lion?

- Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks, and sorry for the wordiness. I just graduated with an English degree, so the need for excessive explanation is ingrained in me! Any advice/thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
If the processing power serves your needs then there is no reason to upgrade. Get snow leopard and 4gb of RAM ($70 total) and you should be fine for a few years as you have the option for $30 to upgrade to Lion. Personally, I would have upgraded to an SSD rather than a hard drive but they are much more ex waive for the space.

lindsbug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Kansas
I may be wrong, but I've been reading that this model of MacBook can't support more than X amount of RAM. I think it was 3.2 gigs or something. That would be my next question, how much RAM can I put in this MacBook (again, mid-2007 model)?

Thanks for the SSD suggestion -- though I'm sure this HD will handle the piddly stuff I use my MB for. I'll keep the SSD in mind though if the HD on my brother's MB Pro goes haywire!

javashak

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
Wellingborough, UK
Old but still going

I have one of the first MacBook 1,1 with the core duo and it just keeps on going though Apple now seem determined to put a stop to that as I can't upgrade (officially) to Lion - bummer!!

My MB got a 750Gb, 7200rpm seagate drive for Christmas which has improved performance. It is already running the max 2Gb memory and I can't find any reason to change it though I do lust after the new MB Airs.

Personally I would keep it as long as it keeps going. There's not many out there that do that.

lindsbug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Kansas
That's true ... just seems to be a quality product. I upgraded to this little guy after using an iBook throughout high school and I remember being so stoked to receive my new MacBook. Clearly the love I initially felt for it has not worn off as even a brand new MB Air cannot come between us.

So a MacBook 1,1 can run 2 GB of memory ... I have a MacBook 1,2 -- anyone know how much memory my MacBook can recognize?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
That's true ... just seems to be a quality product. I upgraded to this little guy after using an iBook throughout high school and I remember being so stoked to receive my new MacBook. Clearly the love I initially felt for it has not worn off as even a brand new MB Air cannot come between us.

So a MacBook 1,1 can run 2 GB of memory ... I have a MacBook 1,2 -- anyone know how much memory my MacBook can recognize?

It can take 4gb with 3.3 being usable. I ran my MacBook 2ghz like that and it runs great. By going 4gb you gain about 5% more speed as all the memory is running in dual-channel mode and it's about the same price as 3gb because you buy it as a kit of 2 2gb sodimms.

Teevau

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
I run 3gb of memory and Lion on my mid-2007 MacBook, no problems... The actual physical limit that MB can handle is 4gb

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
Upgrade to the 4gb of RAM (even if your macbook will only use 3.2gb), upgrade to Lion if you can afford it after the ram upgrade, and with the new hard drive you just put in, your machine will feel brand new!

Then in a year or two, buy a new machine and it'll hopefully feel like a more substanicial upgrade.

lindsbug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Kansas
Thanks for all the advice! I've decided to go ahead and up the RAM on my MacBook. Hopefully Apple will come out with another laptop model in the next couple of years, then I'll upgrade to another computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.