Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I last did my networking setup in 2012-13 and it currently consists of a gigabit FiOS connection. My hardware setup is ONT->G1100-> 2013 Time Capsule in bridge mode. I would love to get rid of the Verizon router but when I tried to do that I lost all my guide data despite following numerous guides on how to put it into bridge mode and use the time capsule as the main. The G1100 does all the routing duties as I've heard its quite good at that and I have the wireless turned off on it. off the back of the G1100 one port goes to a 8 Port gigabit switch that handles most of the ethernet jacks in the home. the other port goes to the time capsule to handle wireless duties. for the past 5 or so years this setup has worked almost perfectly and still does to be honest. however since ive upgraded to gigabit the time capsule just cant keep up due to the poor LAN to WAN speeds and im currently getting around 450-550mbps. I live in a 3 story home thats around 3500 square feet and range is an issue in some areas and the backyard. The Time Capsule is located on the second floor so right in the middle of the home. I've noticed that im having issues keeping devices on the 5ghz frequency and throughput is suffering. ive tried separating the bands but that was more problems than it was worth. id like to redo the entire network this spring once I get my tax returns back. my original idea was to replace the time capsule with a mesh system but after reading about those most cant handle a gigabit connection all that well. I know that im not going to get 1000mbps on a wireless 3x3 connection anyways but im looking for some improvement. anyways the mesh idea just didnt really suite me all that well. my current idea is to get 3 ubiquity AC-PRO-HD access points and put one on the middle of each floor. I will still be using the g1100 as the main router for the time being as thats not had a single issue. im also wanting to redo the wired setup. currently I have a 8 port switch thats full and im probably going to replace it with a ubiquity 16 port model with POE for the access points. from what ive read those access points do a very good job under load and are very fast. also I like the idea of the software management for the APs and switch together to get an idea of how my network is performing. the way ive had most of my devices connected is if it has an ethernet port than thats what I use. so a majority of my devices are wired. but there are 4 people in my house streaming off their iPhones and iPads and we are almost all 4k in the house except for one tv in the gym so I need something that can handle all that load without the slowdowns that ive been getting. Anyone have any input on my ideas and situation?

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Your plans sound pretty solid to me — more WAPs distributed throughout the house should resolve the wireless range and speed issues you're seeing. You could keep the Time Capsule wired in to the network w/ wireless disabled to maintain network backups. I have no direct experience with Ubiquiti, but I've heard nothing but praise. With a PoE-capable switch, you can have those additional WAPs up in no time at all.

Outside of that, it sounds like you've got a solid wired Gigabit network that's providing satisfactory throughput; you just need to up your wireless game a bit + get a bigger switch with power over Ethernet (PoE).

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Using 2 UBNT Unifi AC Lite WAPs to cover about 2300 sq ft (two story).

4 users, plus 2 Apple TVs, all wireless, including up to 4 laptops, and an iMac on top of phones and an occasional iPad. Never any noticeable delays or issues, even with gaming.

Using a UBNT EdgeMax router that also supplies POE to the WAPs.

My setup is much smaller, less coverage, and lower throughput than what you are planning. If anything you should have overkill....unless you have concrete, steel, or other construction challenges. I never have drops, never need reboots (Spectrum modem, yes. UBNT router and WAPs, no).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.