Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Guys - a few apps on my phone simply take device time and add time stamps etc when messaging, etc which I want to avoid. I'd like my time zone to stay static when flying mid-air using airplane wifi or at other destinations. In general -> date & time, I can't uncheck 'set automatically' as it says time zone can not be set manually due to device resetrictions

However, if I uncheck Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and 'Turn on Setting Time Zone', will it have the same effect? So basically iPhone's location cannot be used to set time zone so it'll simply maintain my home location time for days and weeks?

Thanks

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
"due to device restrictions" = either ScreenTime restrictions, or a profile (e.g. work, school) preventing that setting from being changed. I'd look into that, rather than how to fiddle it through some other setting.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
No screen time restrictions so possibly a work profile which I can't change. So I have to look into this setting below and see if it would work the same way
Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and 'Turn on Setting Time Zone',

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Opened a thread on apples forums too but no response unfortunately. I guess it’ll be something I’ll have to try out and post back

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Turning off "Setting Time Zone" won't help. The iPhone will still get the local time through cellular towers, and even through Wi-Fi by pinging Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers.

You would need to turn off the "Set Automatically" setting that's restricted if you don't want it to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.