Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

I've been in the market for a laptop for a few months now. I took a gamble and held off from buying, thinking there would be new Powerbooks at MWSF, and I was right. I'm very happy with the MacBooks (save the name), and I want to buy one asap.

The only thing is, I use Photoshop and Illustrator more than anything.

What is a realistic guess as to the timeline for Adobe to release new versions of these apps? How long will I have to struggle through PS and Illustrator under Rosetta?

I mean, buying a PPC laptop just doesn't make sense, does it?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Are there any chances you can rent a PPC for a few months? Aside from that, I would wait. Unless you really need one urgently.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
I would try emailing them and asking, if I were you. I've emailed companies about products they'll release in the future with success. Given the inevitability of their porting to the Intel processor, it'd be a fair question to ask of them.

i.e. I emailed Sonnet about a couple months ago asking when they were going to debut a PCI-E SATA adapter for the PMG5. They told me they were aiming for the beginning of January. Sure enough... introduction at MWSF'06 with shipments in February.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
pknz said:
Are there any chances you can rent a PPC for a few months? Aside from that, I would wait. Unless you really need one urgently.

I wish I could, but that's not an option for me here in redneckland.

Come on Adobe...hurry and get those universal binaries out......

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
We have to wait for CS3.

"Adobe currently has no plans to update Adobe Creative Suite 2 or any other currently available Adobe products to support Macintosh computers that use Intel processors. Instead, we plan on investing in preparing future versions of our Macintosh products for this new line of computers."

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
I don't think you'll have to wait long. No one expected apple to come out with intel macs so soon and apple wouldn't spill their secrets so the companies were'nt in a hurry. Now they're gonna pick up their work and i think most will apps will be available when apple hopefully comes out with new macs in a couple of months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.