Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnGe-007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Hi,
My computer MacBook Pro crashed but I have a backup. My 'spare' (just calling it that for clarity) machine is the same model and has the same operating system already installed - El Capitan.

Excuse the lengthy ask, process of drilling down to what is possible, if anything.
I have searched and searched and tried many different things but nothing so far has worked.

Question 1: Is there any way to copy, migrate, restore ONLY the Address Book Contacts and Emails, the draft emails are the most important (I am using MacMail) from the TimeMachine backup to the 'spare' machine?
To complicate matters the MAIL on the TimeMachine backup is a hidden folder, I have tried to find and written script to 'show' it. But nada.

If above is not possible:

Question 2: Is there any way to open the mail on the TimeMachine backup and choose manually what I want to retrieve. (please note I am using a backup from the crashed computer so I can't use the convenient "enter TimeMachine" and scroll through because it only allows me to scroll through new email backups on the 'spare' replacement computer).

OR

Question 3: If I create another user name on the 'spare' computer with the same user name as on the backup TM user will that work? And how? I have tried a few trial and error ways but it's all error to date. I do have all my user passwords.

If none of the above is possible:

Question 4.: If I do a full restore or migrate (or ?) of all data on the TimeMachine backup to the 'spare' computer will it overwrite the information, settings etc. that are already on the 'spare' computer?
Or is there a way to create partitions on the 'spare' computer that will keep the backup and 'spare' system separate but still allow me to choose what I want to keep and copy it over to be accessible on 'spare'

Many thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Question 4.: If I do a full restore or migrate (or ?) of all data on the TimeMachine backup to the 'spare' computer will it overwrite the information, settings etc. that are already on the 'spare' computer?

A restore would definitely write over everything on the spare Mac. A migrate might or might not depending on what accounts you have setup on the target device.

Or is there a way to create partitions on the 'spare' computer that will keep the backup and 'spare' system separate but still allow me to choose what I want to keep and copy it over to be accessible on 'spare'

Given what you have described here, that is what I would do if you have the disk space. Use Disk Util to shrink the main partition to make space, then add a new partition and restore the TM drive to the new partition. Then option key boot into it and get our data off.

AnGe-007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Hi, Thank you. Appreciate it.
Would you happen to know how to back up TM to a partition.
I tried doing migrate but it doesn't give me an option to choose a partition, just gives me a catch all "my mac" and I don't want to take the chance of the TM being written to the wrong partition.
Thank you for any help.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi, Thank you. Appreciate it.
Would you happen to know how to back up TM to a partition.
I tried doing migrate but it doesn't give me an option to choose a partition, just gives me a catch all "my mac" and I don't want to take the chance of the TM being written to the wrong partition.
Thank you for any help.
If you attach the TM drive then option key boot to it and pick the restore option, you should get a screen pop up that asked where you want to restore to. Just pick that new partition you made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.