Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
USA
Issue - IOS 17 - I am writing to see if anyone knows of a fix to this or perhaps I just have to wait until the next bug fix. I have updated to 17.0.3 and the issue persists. Using iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Timer Issue:

1. I go in to the Timer and see the list of tones.

2. I see that "Radial" is pre-checked as Default

3. I use the Timer tone list and choose another tone.

4. The timer info now says, 'When Timer Ends ... "Kettle"

ISSUE - 5. If I start the timer myself it will play "Kettle". If I ask Siri to start the Timer, it reverts to the default, Radial.

is there any fix or workaround for this or do I just have to wait for Apple to fix it?

Last edited:

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
USA
Does anyone else have this issue with the Timer ? I contacted Apple Care and they didn't have a clue.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
I think it’s been like this even on iOS 16. Same thing happens for Alarms.

Has it ever behaved differently?

JSBRGX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2023
I also have the problem on iOS 17 - but I also had it on iOS 16, so I suspect it's meant to be.

PeterK44

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2017
I have found a workaround at the Apple iPhone discussion forum https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255158279?page=6

 After updating to iOS 17.1 delete all the recent Timers at the bottom of the Timer section of the Clock app.
 Create a new Timer for 15 seconds or so (manually, not with Siri) and choose the default sound you want.
 Then put your phone to sleep by pressing the side button while you wait for the Timer to go off.
 After it goes off and you stop it, then ask Siri to set a new Timer for 15 seconds and it should be set to the last sound you used above.

I’m not sure phone has to be in sleep mode when Timer goes off and I’m not sure the two times have to match, but I followed all these steps as written and it worked!!

I hope people who are watching this thread have sent feedback to Apple.

Reactions: cmbukowski
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.