Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
Hi all,

Currently using the X, black, 256. Great phone but battery life is taking a hit even though it’s only at 87%.

Sister gave me her old 7, 256 and I paid and sent it to Apple to get a new battery since the old battery was literally dead. Long story short- Apple messes up and incorrectly flagged my phone as abused and cannot fix the battery. After a few weeks of customer support they finally found out it was incorrectly flagged. So instead of replacing the battery, they will be giving me a duplicate replacement, which is coming tomorrow.

Thinking of selling the X now since it still holds some value at around $350-$400 and use the 7 since it will basically be brand new. Or should I just sell the 7?

Depending on how the iPhone 12 announcement is, I will either get the 12 pro max or get a used 11 pro max. Regardless of which I sell, the other one will be used as back up.

Thoughts? Thanks!

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
A few things to consider:

* Support: The X should get a year or two more software support (as it's the newer phone compared to the 7).
* Use: As a backup phone, will the phone sit in the drawer waiting for use, or be regularly used?
* User preference: Do you prefer to use the X or the 7?

The alternative (if you're happy with the X, though it appears that you're not if you want to buy a "max" sized phone?) is to get the battery replaced in the X, keep the 7 as your backup, and wait another year or two to upgrade.

Reactions: fitcious

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
They’re both older devices. Personally I’d keep the x, maybe with a battery replacement for another year or two.

Reactions: fitcious

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
The 11 Pro Max is a huge leap forward in battery life vs the X. Since we are only maybe 1 or 2 months away from the iPhone 12 I would probably just use the 7 for now and then see how the 12 fares.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Wait for the 12 series, it's coming up soon. Then you will know all options going forward.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
Ok I put my SIM card in my 7. I’ll use it for a week to see if I like the 7 as a transition period until then new ones come out or if it’s really slow and small I’ll just stick with my X for the time being

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
Yeah I plan on doing so once I determine the 7 is good for my use- the keyboard is tiny!

Also- does anyone know if the X and 7 have similar capacity when it comes to video recording?

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
thanks all - I sold my X today for $410. gonna use the 7 for the next few months. Hopefully the smaller screen will not bother me too much! Thanks

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
thanks all - I sold my X today for $410. gonna use the 7 for the next few months. Hopefully the smaller screen will not bother me too much! Thanks

I’m debating on doing this as well. I found a gold iPhone 8 unlocked 64GB for $160 today in pristine condition. I bought it and am thinking of selling my XS. I have a Space Gray XS 256GB that’s unlocked and feel like I can get $500 or so for it. Would only have to use the 8 for a couple of months before deciding on the 5.4” or 6.1” iPhone 12.

OP, so far are you having any issues with the 4.7” display?

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
I’m debating on doing this as well. I found a gold iPhone 8 unlocked 64GB for $160 today in pristine condition. I bought it and am thinking of selling my XS. I have a Space Gray XS 256GB that’s unlocked and feel like I can get $500 or so for it. Would only have to use the 8 for a couple of months before deciding on the 5.4” or 6.1” iPhone 12.

OP, so far are you having any issues with the 4.7” display?

I def think you can fetch that amount for your XS.

Going back to a 7 has not been as big of an adjustment as I thought. The only negatives have been smaller keyboard, so I miss type quite often. The speakers aren’t as loud as the X. No portrait mode. But the size has not bother me as much as I thought. It’s refreshing to hold a smaller phone.

Positives have been fantastic battery life compare to my X. Night shots have been crap but I use NeuralCam and it’s great. Love the smaller form factor and it’s so light versus my X. And Touch ID is so much more useful especially now when I am wearing a mask at work or going on groceries run.

I say sell your XS and use the 8. Heck you might even stick it out for a bit and hold off until the 12S model next year. I can see myself doing that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.