Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
What time would be the "sweet spot" to sell my current Apple Watch Sport if I want to avoid people rather wanting the new model? Also, what price would be reasonable after a years use (the cheapest Sports-model) ? I live in France, btw, so the purchase prices are higher than the US.

Thank you :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The "sweet spot" with iDevices has typically been about no later than one month before announcement of the next model (and this requires someone finding a temporary phone, etc. to use in the meantime). However, Apple has pretty much killed this by not refreshing the AW at the one-year mark and slashing the Sport prices by $50.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
The "sweet spot" with iDevices has typically been about no later than one month before announcement of the next model (and this requires someone finding a temporary phone, etc. to use in the meantime). However, Apple has pretty much killed this by not refreshing the AW at the one-year mark and slashing the Sport prices by $50.
Thanks for the reply :) I'm pretty much enjoying my Apple Watch but it's a bit slow so I would like to get the new one... I'm expecting a 50% faster performance on the new one but might be disappointed I guess. What price should I put on my watch then? It's in excellent condition. I also got a replacement product after my old one had scratches in the glass so all things considered it got sent to me in October. So it's only 7 months old.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
In the US, it's now. lots of press with guesses about the new Watch, most are aware of a new one soon. Not sure of in France tho. I wouldn't say 'only' for 7 months. I;m seeing a lot of used ones 1-3 months old, and many with Applecare+ warranty for another 18 months coverage. A lot of people got these for Christmas and are selling now.

Reactions: BarracksSi

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What time would be the "sweet spot" to sell my current Apple Watch Sport
The sweet spot would have been to sell it, as soon as you bought it. I'm not being coy (well not too much ;) ) but as you wait the price decreases. The closer you get to the rumored release of the new model the increase in supply and decrease in demand.

I've seen threads in the iPhone forum where people sell their phones a months, 2 months and even longer to maximize the price.

I usually sell my phone after I get the new one, and while that impacts the money I may get, it simplifies the whole transition process. If I were to get the new apple watch, I suspect I'd follow that methodology as well.

I'm not saying its the best approach but I do think the difference between selling something 1 month prior to release and 1 month post release will not break the bank. Just my $.02 :)

Reactions: ladytonya

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
The sweet spot would have been to sell it, as soon as you bought it. I'm not being coy (well not too much ;) ) but as you wait the price decreases. The closer you get to the rumored release of the new model the increase in supply and decrease in demand.

I've seen threads in the iPhone forum where people sell their phones a months, 2 months and even longer to maximize the price.

I usually sell my phone after I get the new one, and while that impacts the money I may get, it simplifies the whole transition process. If I were to get the new apple watch, I suspect I'd follow that methodology as well.

I'm not saying its the best approach but I do think the difference between selling something 1 month prior to release and 1 month post release will not break the bank. Just my $.02 :)

I absolutely agree with you! And I have to add that not everyone follow macrumors or even go online that often, so many people would probably give a lot for an apple watch even if the price wouldn't be "honest". I don't think I would trick anyone but if a rich older man wanted the apple watch and gave me, let's say 400 € for it I wouldn't say no...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Resale prices are rather disappointing on all model Apple watches.

Used year-old iPhone models usually take a 50% hit, depending on the condition and unlock status (you need to compare to the full, unsubsidized prices and not the subsidized $199/299/399 prices that people have paid in the past). Are resale prices of used AW models significantly worse than 50% of original prices, now that the AW1 is about a year old?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Used year-old iPhone models usually take a 50% hit, depending on the condition and unlock status (you need to compare to the full, unsubsidized prices and not the subsidized $199/299/399 prices that people have paid in the past). Are resale prices of used AW models significantly worse than 50% of original prices?

Always can count on your argumentative replies. I think I get under your skin . . . hope so. :p

Yes I have seen them for less than 50%

I am still in the opinion that AW watch resales are in the toilet.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I just purchased a used Apple Watch Sport in near perfect condition with all original items and packaging for $220. I saw them priced a good bit higher on eBay, and some lower (those usually had a good bit of wear, and I knew I wouldn't be happy with that). I wanted to get a feel for how much I'd use it before the new ones come out because I'd like to invest in a stainless, but don't want to do that if it's not going to be as useful to me as I'm hoping it will. I don't think I'll have any issues selling it after the new one is out, although I figure I'll probably only get about $150.

I used to have zero issues selling my phones after new releases and getting good money (at least 2/3 or more of new prices). I think people would pay outright to not have to deal with contracts and such. Now, since the Next and other payment plans, I don't find I get near what I used to (and I always sell my phones in mint condition because they get cases and screen protectors as soon as I get them). It's just too easy to walk in any cellular store and jump on a payment plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.