Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macknack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
Uk
I have always liked Fabrice Bellard's Tiny-C Compiler. Its a full C99 compiler that is only a few hundred K in size with all the headers/libraries to generate Win32/64 (or linux) binaries, for x86 or even ARM.

Has anyone made a nice free port of this for MacOS? (Im using an early MacBook A1181 with OSX 10.6.8..)

Or perhaps someone would like to try? It builds from source in linux quite easily..

Original site: https://www.bellard.org/tcc/ (but these days gives a security cert warning)

Last edited:

macknack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
Uk
Ah ok thanks, I will try that. I was going to do a few things (backup etc) to this laptop before letting it online, I was hoping to just download a few small packages for tiny-c and install via a usb stick..

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Ah ok thanks, I will try that. I was going to do a few things (backup etc) to this laptop before letting it online, I was hoping to just download a few small packages for tiny-c and install via a usb stick..

As you can tell from the home-brew install script, it is just downloading a release. You can downloa this directly to do your USB install. This is the home-brew formula. Just get the release from the URL mentioned in it

Nygaard

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2022
Houston
You can build tcc directly from the source and bypass Homebrew all together (assuming you have a C compiler already). I don't recall many major problems trying to build it a few years ago. However, on later macOS versions you can successfully build tcc, but it can't generate binaries because of header files or something silly like that. I think it should work on your OS though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.