Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Hi,

I'm pleased to introduce Tiny Timer, a stand-alone timer app for Apple Watch.

tiny-timer-iphone-en.png

My goal is to provide a better and more versatile alternative to the pre-installed timer app:
  • Save your timers as presets and customize them with a name, color, and icon for quick recognition.
  • Tiny Timer visualizes the remaining duration of your timer with a colorful ring.
  • Multiple timers can run at the same time.
  • You can add every timer as a separate complication to your watch face and start them with one tap.
  • Tiny Timer supports all complication types, and multiple timers can live on the same watch face.
  • Timers are synchronized between multiple devices via iCloud.
Tiny Timer runs standalone on your watch and does not require a connection to your iPhone. With the optional iPhone app you can easily create, edit, and sort your timers.

Download Tiny Timer on the App Store for free. The free version supports up to three timers. Unlock Tiny Timer Plus to get unlimited timers and a wider selection of icons and colors.

I would love to hear your feedback. Just reply to this thread. ?

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
It looks pretty nice. But I realize that I use count up timers most or all of the time. The built in app Timer on the watch for timers counts down from a set time pretty well. but there isn't a good alternative for counting up. The count up watch face doesn't really work that well and I so I use stop watch, which is a bit clunky because it takes over the watch face and doesn't run in a complication. So that would be my suggestion.

Reactions: max2 and FelixII

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Thank you for your suggestion! Would you like to count up to a specific duration or infinitely? I could implement the first variant as an option.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Thank you for your suggestion! Would you like to count up to a specific duration or infinitely? I could implement the first variant as an option.

I think it would be cool if timers could be linked. For example I practice the 20-20-20 rule. It would be cool if after I stop the the 20min timer that the 20sec timer would automatically start. This app is cool though!

Reactions: FelixII

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Yes, that's a good idea. I have already considered combining several timers into groups. So you can run them either sequentially or in parallel (e.g. for cooking). Thank you for your feedback! :)

Reactions: JBaby

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
for count up timers, I would leave it as infinite, but my guess is that folks would want it either way, and I can adapt. I use timers for cooking, and I like them counting up, since I want to measure elapsed time but I don't know when that will end, but I also don't want them taking over my watch face (like the stop watch does).

I need to google pomodoroing and see what you are doing for 25 min there too.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Ok. I purchased the app to try it out. I purchased on my ipad 14.4 and set 2 timers. I can now only edit the timers but not actually run the timers. I then installed on my 2017 iphone SE running 14.4. It does the same thing. It automatically pulled in the 2 timers created on the ipad (cool!) but I can’t actually run the timer, only edit it. My watch is a series 1 running WatchOS 6.x so I’m assuming it can’t run on it (pity) as I get an error. I am curious as to how to actually run the timer, looks cool. I’m not sure it would suit my needs as it apparently doesn’t have a persistent alarm. Running it 3 times if you don’t interact with it may not work for me as I need a real nag that runs until I turn it off. Not a fan of the wheels to set the alarm but if you can save your custom set it is bearable.

Don’t be the app that encourages me to upgrade my watch ;)

Last edited:

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Thank you for trying it out!

You set the timer on the phone but you can’t set them on the watch?

You can do everything on the watch except sorting your timers manually. That's because the Apple Watch doesn't support drag & drop.

Ok. I purchased the app to try it out. I purchased on my ipad 14.4 and set 2 timers. I can now only edit the timers but not actually run the timers. I then installed on my 2017 iphone SE running 14.4. It does the same thing. It automatically pulled in the 2 timers created on the ipad (cool!) but I can’t actually run the timer, only edit it. My watch is a series 1 running WatchOS 6.x so I’m assuming it can’t run on it (pity) as I get an error. I am curious as to how to actually run the timer, looks cool. I’m not sure it would suit my needs as it apparently doesn’t have a persistent alarm. Running it 3 times if you don’t interact with it may not work for me as I need a real nag that runs until I turn it off. Not a fan of the wheels to set the alarm but if you can save your custom set it is bearable.

Yes, Tiny Timer is primarily a watch app. The iPhone companion app is intended for creating and managing your timers, but it cannot run them at the moment. I might expand the iOS app in the future, but I wanted to limit the project scope for its initial release.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Thank you for trying it out!

You can do everything on the watch except sorting your timers manually. That's because the Apple Watch doesn't support drag & drop.

Yes, Tiny Timer is primarily a watch app. The iPhone companion app is intended for creating and managing your timers, but it cannot run them at the moment. I might expand the iOS app in the future, but I wanted to limit the project scope for its initial release.
I was unable to find anything that says your app requires watchOS 7. Does it?

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Would it be possible to have folders for timers? I have a set of times that are only for one thing but I use different times when the need arises. I just think it would be more tidy if I could clean up the list a bit.

Thank you very much for your suggestion! Yes, that's a good idea. I've added this feature to my roadmap. ?

Twitter won't allow me to reply to tweets at the moment (for whatever reason), so I'm answering here instead.

Reactions: lelisa13p and JBaby

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Just downloaded it and please accept a thank you from a fellow iOS developer. This is exactly what I needed for my workouts. While it is definitely a first world problem, the need to stop the timer after a 1 minute rest between the sets inconvenienced me. Now I'll have a notification and start the next set without touching the watch. Brilliant.

One question, and I am nearly sure that this is impossible but it is not possible to just tap the complication and start the timer in the background, right? The app always needs to enter foreground to start the timer?

I'll definitely get the in app purchase to support the app and leave a review. Simple and elegant, beautifully done. Congratulations.

Reactions: JBaby and FelixII

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
What a cute little app. One of the species that does things, humans are used to do...
5 Stars will be delivered immediately :)

Quite stubborn that repeating reminder - the first time is often ignored - then it gets boring and you look at the watch ?

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Thank you both so much! I am very happy that you like my tiny app. :) I also use it every day and have lots of ideas for improvement.

One question, and I am nearly sure that this is impossible but it is not possible to just tap the complication and start the timer in the background, right? The app always needs to enter foreground to start the timer?

No, sorry, this is currently not possible. Complications always open the parent app. There is a similar problem with widgets on iOS 14. Maybe Apple will add this functionality in iOS 15 / watchOS 8. ?

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Thank you both so much! I am very happy that you like my tiny app. :) I also use it every day and have lots of ideas for improvement.

No, sorry, this is currently not possible. Complications always open the parent app. There is a similar problem with widgets on iOS 14. Maybe Apple will add this functionality in iOS 15 / watchOS 8. ?
Thanks for the reply. Just wrote a review on the App Store too. I know the importance of reviews very much ?

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
I downloaded the tiny timer app. I look forward to trying it out. It looks to offer much more flexibility than the apple timer app.
Thanks!

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Hi,

I've just released my iOS 15 / watchOS 8 update for Tiny Timer. The big new feature in this version is that you can now also run and control your timers on the iPhone. Timers and their remaining durations are synced automatically between iPhone and Apple Watch.

tinytimer-ios15-teaser-en.png

Tiny Timer provides a home screen widget on the iPhone that allows you to track the progress of a timer. Expired timers appear as time-sensitive notifications on both your iPhone and the watch. There are also a few new timer icons and colors in this update.

The free version allows you to create up to three timers. Unlock Tiny Timer Plus (one-time purchase) to get unlimited timers and a wider selection of icons and colors. The Plus Upgrade is available for a short time with a 33% discount.

I'm happy to answer any questions or feedback. Just reply to this thread.

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Hi Felix,

Some small usability issues and bugs on the new version.

If I tap “Edit” at the top right and tap a timer, it starts running instead of editing. I have to long press on the timer to edit it. This creates confusion about the functionality of that button.

If I edit the color of a timer and save, and then edit again, the color does not update to the new color on the editing screen and returns back to the old color if I save again.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Hi @bukalemun,

Thank you very much for reporting these issues! I will fix these in the next update very soon and report back.

Cheers,

Felix

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Hi @bukalemun,

I've fixed these issues in the latest version. Thanks again for testing! ?
Just tested it and can confirm that it now behaves correctly, thank you very much Felix.

I am glad to be able to help, I can do beta testing for you when you need via TestFlight. Or translate the app to Turkish. My app was translated by volunteers to 15 languages, I also love to contribute back ?

FelixII

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Thank you very much, @bukalemun! I have an open TestFlight beta for Tiny Timer. Please feel free to join:

The current beta is a little behind the App Store version. I will post an updated build as soon as new features are ready. Others can join too, of course. ?

Reactions: bukalemun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.