Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Anyone else having audio issues with this program? I’m using a 9.2 Dolby Atmos setup and something is seriously playing wrong with the front, maybe front left sound fields? You can really tell when the narrator is speaking and it just sounds horrible and through the wrong speakers. I’m on latest tvOS and I’ve checked with a couple other atmos encoded programs and not seeing this elsewhere. How do we send feedback? Thanks!

Cedric Langlais

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
Same here! Using Dolby atmos 5.1.2 and front left / center is having issues with sound balancing from one to the other!
Show look amazing but can’t watch more than 3 minutes lol. So annoying

Reactions: armandxp

chrisohaver

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
Same issues. tvOS 14.0.1. Dolby 5.1. Hope they resolve it. Visuals are stunning.

Update: Restarting the AppleTV seems to have resolved things for me.

Last edited:

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Same issues. tvOS 14.0.1. Dolby 5.1. Hope they resolve it. Visuals are stunning.

Update: Restarting the AppleTV seems to have resolved things for me.

I tried that, and it didn't help, but it was only apparent in the first two episodes. So far, episodes 3 and 4 are good. I'll go back and try the first two again after pulling the plug this time and seeing if that matters. Love the series, though. Amazing visuals!

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Same here! Using Dolby atmos 5.1.2 and front left / center is having issues with sound balancing from one to the other!
Show look amazing but can’t watch more than 3 minutes lol. So annoying

Exactly, it was from the left to center in mine, also. I've never had that happen so prominently and was hoping something wasn't going on with my receiver. Thanks!

Daniel Mursell

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
I’m having the same issue. Running the newest tvOS and a 5.1.2 atmos. I’ve definitely had the same center/front left issue but occasionally I’ve had the narrators voice out of my rear channels. Super annoying but I’m only two episodes in. Hopefully the later episodes resolve this as another poster mentioned. Great looking series so far.

Big Brother

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Whew... misery loves company. Same issue for me on 7.2.2 Atmos setup (Denon receiver). I have occasionally had audio issues with Atmos in the past (Uncut Gems was nearly impossible to watch as the audio moved around the speakers).

Reactions: Daniel Mursell

Southy

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2020
Same infuriating problem here in episode 1 so far. I'm running 7.2.4 from an Onkyo TXRZ-3100. Rudd's narration keeps panning from front left to centre and back again. Extremely distracting.

Daniel Mursell

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
Exactly, it was from the left to center in mine, also. I've never had that happen so prominently and was hoping something wasn't going on with my receiver. Thanks!
Anyone watching long way up? I noticed it had the same audio issue with the newest episode.

Reactions: BJMRamage

Southy

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2020
Which episode number is that of Long Way Up? I’m a few behind as have been on holiday but will keep an ear out for it as I watch and report back.

ioTus

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2020
Thank the gods. I was dreading having to re-pull my home theater wires, or worse, having to send my receiver or speakers in for service. Same precise issue: Center channel cutting in and out, Front left cutting in and out, sometimes the center channel switches to the left channel, and sometimes to rear left channel.

I'm running a 5.2.4 Atmos setup on a Marantz SR6014, Mordaunt Short Avant speakers, Apple TV 4k.

I have only watched the first two episodes so far, then switched to Netflix to make sure I wasn't going crazy (Netflix was fine).

I feel like I noticed this on another nature documentary as well, though I can't recall what it was.

Is there any way we can report the issue?

Southy

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2020
Thank the gods. I was dreading having to re-pull my home theater wires, or worse, having to send my receiver or speakers in for service. Same precise issue: Center channel cutting in and out, Front left cutting in and out, sometimes the center channel switches to the left channel, and sometimes to rear left channel.

I'm running a 5.2.4 Atmos setup on a Marantz SR6014, Mordaunt Short Avant speakers, Apple TV 4k.

I have only watched the first two episodes so far, then switched to Netflix to make sure I wasn't going crazy (Netflix was fine).

I feel like I noticed this on another nature documentary as well, though I can't recall what it was.

So I've just watched "David Attenborough: A life on our Planet" on Netflix and had exactly the same issues again with planning from front left to centre. Is this the nature documentary you watched ioTus? It didn't happen throughout the documentary, starting quite late around the time it focuses on whales, and it wasn't quite as destructive to the immersion as with Tiny World but annoying nonetheless.

This documentary is on Netflix, not Apple TV+ but I play everything through the Apple TV 4K so this strongly suggests to me that it's a fault with the Apple TV 4K. Can it be fixed with a firmware update and like ioTus asks how do we best go about reporting this?

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone watching long way up? I noticed it had the same audio issue with the newest episode.

Yes, us too with Long Way Up and Tiny Worlds thankfully I read about Tiny World issue (had it and thought it was our system at first) and assumed that was the issue with LWU. I began wondering if it was because we were watching it the night the episode came out, but we watched LWU last week when it came out on Friday without issue.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL

I’m sure there is but I couldn’t figure it out. I googled the documentary contacts and it had an Apple PR reps email and I sent them an email last week asking for help. Never heard back. Or if they could relay the message.

mlx52

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Exactly the same issue when we went to watch the first two episodes last night. Tried rebooting but to no avail. Had this happen on one of the episodes of Home, but all other Atmos content has been ok. Must be an issue with how Apple is encoding it. Do we know of a way to report this to Apple?

Coop&Case

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
I was watching the Apple TV nature documentary, Earth at Night, "Lion Grasslands". It was doing the left to right varriation. Something similar happened on a previous Apple TV documentary. I can't remember which one. I have a Denon receiver and 5.1.2. I found this page to be comforting... I turned off my system and turned it back on to see if the issue continued and if so, if it continued in the same places. I was lucky and it corrected itself this time. Hopefully that works again in the future.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I was watching the Apple TV nature documentary, Earth at Night, "Lion Grasslands". It was doing the left to right varriation. Something similar happened on a previous Apple TV documentary. I can't remember which one. I have a Denon receiver and 5.1.2. I found this page to be comforting... I turned off my system and turned it back on to see if the issue continued and if so, if it continued in the same places. I was lucky and it corrected itself this time. Hopefully that works again in the future.
Same here on two different sound systems and tv's. If I pause it, or rewind a little bit, it fixes it and play correctly through the rest of the film. I've reported it, but doesn't seem to be a priority for Apple. (I'm sure it's not getting to the correct people)

If it keeps doing it, just try to pause or rewind a few secs and mine has worked ok, but I have to do this every time I rewatch, though. My other sound system is just a sound bar, and it does it, also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.