Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
If cydia has my shsh saved then I need to have the option "set hosts to cydia on exit" check marked and close itunes and just click option restore and select my firmware correct?

If my shsh have been stored on my computer by tinyumbrella thats when I have the tss server with the "set hosts to cydia on exit" unchecked..

please correct me if im wrong. very confused about this whole process. I have my shsh saved 4.2.8 and i wanted to restore and start fresh with jailbreakme.com for the unionfs jailbreak but am having trouble. cydia has my shsh stored and i had my hosts set to cydia checked and when its done restoring I just get error 1

btw...im using itunes 10 beta 3 on this computer, may be the reason for the error

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
having Make it easy and saving via tiny Umbrella is simply the best and safest way to go. the more you are backed up the safer you are.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
"If cydia has my shsh saved then I need to have the option "set hosts to cydia on exit" check marked and close itunes and just click option restore and select my firmware correct?"

Don't know how you expect to restore your iphone with itunes closed.

"If my shsh have been stored on my computer by tinyumbrella thats when I have the tss server with the "set hosts to cydia on exit" unchecked.."

Correct.

"I have my shsh saved 4.2.8 and i wanted to restore and start fresh with jailbreakme.com for the unionfs jailbreak but am having trouble. cydia has my shsh stored and i had my hosts set to cydia checked and when its done restoring I just get error 1"

Hosts on cydia can be unchecked. Start the tss server, ensure it's actually running in the log tab, then option restore with itunes to 4.2.8 which is already on your computer somewhere....

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
"If cydia has my shsh saved then I need to have the option "set hosts to cydia on exit" check marked and close itunes and just click option restore and select my firmware correct?"

Don't know how you expect to restore your iphone with itunes closed.

"If my shsh have been stored on my computer by tinyumbrella thats when I have the tss server with the "set hosts to cydia on exit" unchecked.."

Correct.

"I have my shsh saved 4.2.8 and i wanted to restore and start fresh with jailbreakme.com for the unionfs jailbreak but am having trouble. cydia has my shsh stored and i had my hosts set to cydia checked and when its done restoring I just get error 1"

Hosts on cydia can be unchecked. Start the tss server, ensure it's actually running in the log tab, then option restore with itunes to 4.2.8 which is already on your computer somewhere....
Thanks for the help. Sorry about the have itunes closed part, i reread that and im even confused..had kids running around and my iphone wasnt working so guess i was little overwhelmed.

anyways i kept getting error 1 after a did the downgrade to 4.2.8 but i knew it was installing the software because it would take a while and right after the phone did its reboot i would get the error. tinyumbrealla could not kick me out of recovery so i downloaded fix recovery and it worked like a charm..of course i used the 4.3 one since there was no 4.2.8.

thanks for all the help..have "set hosts to cydia" unchecked with tss server running did the trick.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
actually now im getting this error

whats going on?

2znuw5k.png

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Wait for a while and try activating?
Or just use redsn0w rc18 to hacktivate And then use Sam activation to get official activation certificate . ;)

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Wait for a while and try activating?
Or just use redsn0w rc18 to hacktivate And then use Sam activation to get official activation certificate . ;)

Will this work on Verizon iPhone as well?
I went up to 5.0 beta 3 again and no issues activating. Is apple doing something else now to not allow downgrading?

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Ok just realized verizon iPhones CAnt be hacktivated.am searching for a solution

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I also have a Verizon iphone. Sometimes they don't activate until after you reboot after jailbreaking.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I also have a Verizon iphone. Sometimes they don't activate until after you reboot after jailbreaking.

Ok. I'll have to try again later tonight. I've never had that error in iTunes before. The actual phone just shows the cord plugging into iTunes.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2009
tried something else, restored to 4.2.9 and then put my phone into dfu and with tinyumbrella got it to 4.2.8 but now it stays in recovery mode and cant get it out

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.