Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you can have Safari side by side in multitasking mode if you open the News app via the multitasking app switcher while in Safari. Select a story from the news app, then click on the website link at the bottom.

The only issue is that there is no way to directly navigate to another site inside the News app since there isn't an address bar, you can only click on links to additional sites. But this is still a cool workaround until September.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
Reactions: The Doctor11

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you can have Safari side by side in multitasking mode if you open the News app via the multitasking app switcher while in Safari. Select a story from the news app, then click on the website link at the bottom.

The only issue is that there is no way to directly navigate to another site inside the News app since there isn't an address bar, you can only click on links to additional sites. But this is still a cool workaround until September.

An even better workaround would be opening Safari and then Chrome or another 3rd party browser (when apps are updated to support split view).

Reactions: The Doctor11

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
An even better workaround would be opening Safari and then Chrome or another 3rd party browser (when apps are updated to support split view).

Of course that is ideal, but still two months away. I have a feeling safari will eventually allow two side by side windows natively, so hopefully we won't need Chrome.

Reactions: mattoligy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.