Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
If you have an existing account:

1. Change your account to a family plan.
2. Add the iPhone as a new line to the existing family plan and you will pay additional 9.99 a month.
3. You will get the iPhone at a discounted rate. Your iPhone discount will be offset by 9.99 * 24 Months but at least you wont have to fork over the entire non-subsidized cost at once.

Just a thought folks.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I know many of you dont know me personally nor do I hold any creds on this board.. but...

from all the internal docs that I have read...

AT&T will be subsidizing the cost of the iPhone when it launches... I cant say anymore so please do not ask.

This is what you do to take advantage of the discount.

If you have an existing account:

1. Change your account to a family plan.
2. Add the iPhone as a new line to the existing family plan and you will pay additional 9.99 a month.
3. You will get the iPhone at a discounted rate. Your iPhone discount will be offset by 9.99 * 24 Months but at least you wont have to fork over the entire non-subsidized cost at once.

Just a thought folks.

More expensive than the subsidy is worth unless ATT is planning to give away the iPhone which I doubt.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Nice theory, bad math.

If you have an individual plan, it costs $40/month. If you have a 2-line family plan, it's $60. For a third line, it's $70.

Even if you have two and go for a third, you're paying an extra $10 for 24 months. That's $240. The rumored subsidy was $200 off.

Nice theory, bad math.

smt1192

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Hey, I am a current AT&T subscriber on a family plan. I am not the owner, but I am an add on on the plan. What would be the most economical thing to do in my case, as I want to buy the iPhone when it comes out. Should I cancel my line, except I have like 14 months left on the contract.

boxgamex

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
considering ATT's site says im already eligible for an upgrade if I sign up for another 2 years, even though my contract was only started in early July, I'm pretty sure they'd just let you re-up.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Well what happens if you do this and then say after about a month cancel the line with the old iPhone.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I've been through a lot of product launches and it continues to amuse me how many people make these statements like they know what's going to happen. Rumors are fun and thats why forums exist, but when people claim to have 'insider knowledge' chances are they heard it from a worker (who got it from a website) or a 'friend.' if you want to speculate thats awesome, but speculating and pretending are completely different. PM me if I'm wrong but I highly doubt AT&T's official policy will be to convert to a family plan, open a line you won't use, spend $240 plus taxes, fill in mail in rebate and enjoy spending more money.

Here's to a 3g iPhone whenever, and however it happens!

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
considering ATT's site says im already eligible for an upgrade if I sign up for another 2 years, even though my contract was only started in early July, I'm pretty sure they'd just let you re-up.

This is 100% correct. My local rep told me that regardless of what plan or how long is remaining on your contract the iPhone's contract will supersede it and render it null and void. Basically as long as you agree to a new 2 year contract with the iPhone plan, ATT will let you out of any existing contract you may have with them without penalties. I was worried about this because as a blackberry user I not only agreed to a 2 year contract for the voice plan, I also agreed to 2 years for the blackberry service via a separate contract.

Tomass04

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
I don't think doing what you said would be worth it. The best thing to do is just sign up for a new two year contract.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
but by the time you have fulfilled your contract you will have paid for your iPhone (the handset) and the Plan overall, so the monthly rate will increase?

will there be an option to buy iPhone non-subsidized? This is Apple getting too smart for Jailbreakers... now i have had it...

macwh0re

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Hey I also work for ATT (I'm an ASM) and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to finding this info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.