Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
Hi,

I'll be buying my first AW (hopefully this month). As a first time user, I was wondering whether I (and others like me) could receive some tips on:
  • What you use your AW for (daily use);
  • Health/activity apps; and/or
  • Handy settings.
Recommendations could be both paid and free apps.
If provided, I'll update the above list.

Thanks in advance!

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
I would start by limiting the amount of notifications you get on the watch. Work out the most important people or apps that you are ok with and limit it to just them. As an example I really hate getting Microsoft Teams chat notifications constantly so I have that turned off.

I personally use mine for a watch (believe it or not), fitness tracking, what’s up next on my calendar is really helpful to see at a glance. The silent alarm is great to get woken up in the morning. I also have a face for photograph using the lumi app.

Reactions: Agile55

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Good tips.

I would also figure out what my favourite phone apps are and then see if those apps have Watch extensions

Reactions: sarc

Shoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
Thanks for the advices! Follow-up question: should I buy the GPS-only or the GPS + cellular version? Thanks. :)

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the advices! Follow-up question: should I buy the GPS-only or the GPS + cellular version? Thanks. :)

This really depends on you and your situation.

I go out running and like to have the ability of contacting someone if needed. I had the same thought about cycling however I like taking photos when cycling so I always have my phone with me.

Not only will it cost more to get the cellular version it will also be an on going cost depending on your carrier.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
I use my AW6 to track activity level and sleep quality. The blood oxygen and ECG are great features that I use occasionally.

In all seriousness, most people carry their phones everywhere now. It's rare see someone without a phone. So the GPS version is quite enough. To go GPS+cellular you will incur additional costs, which isn't necessary in MY case.

In the off chance that I go working out without a phone, I live in a big city, so I don't worry about getting in danger or going missing because I'm surrounded by people. I wish I paid less and got the GPS-only watch. But this is my lifestyle, you might have different needs.

Plus, when I go for a quick brisk walk, I don't want to be bothered, so I don't care who's calling me, they can leave a voicemail and I can get some peace and quiet for 40-60 minutes. I intend to live my life "poetically".

Shoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
For me, GPS+cellular has two advantages: (1) stainless steel instead of aluminium casing and (2) you don't have to carry your iPhone while running (in order to make calls when injured).
These don't seem to justify the extra €.

TKSX

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2021
I think the cellular features can come in handy if your carrier supports them. Someone on line did a "real life test" on using the apple watch with cellular to handle a day's task but the conclusion is obvious that the apple watch cannot replace a cell phone.

Furthremore, there are tons of videos on youtube that shows the first few things to do with your new apple watch.
For me:
1. Get a screen protector.
2. Get a sports band or learn how to strap your watch properly (there are videos on that). There were cases where the buckle on the strap came off during use and the watch landed glass down.
3. disable always on display unless you need it.
4. Turn off unnecessary notifications so you don't get information overload.
5. Decide if you want to get apple care or not. Apple do not repair watch. They replace them outright. If you are gettting apple care, keep in mind the sum of the 2 year extended warranty + deductable per incident might = 1/2 the price of the watch thus it might not be cost effective for you.

Reactions: Luba

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Think about odd times you might want cellular. I got a concussion while surfing and literally texted my boyfriend from the water: “please come get me.” By the time I got to the beach, he was there. That watch made a horrible situation less bad. Maybe you had or have unique situations when it could come in handy?

Reactions: Luba

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
My tip for you is you can automate watch face to your liking. Say, you want a face for when you're home and another for your office. You can automate it using either time base or location base command.
For example, You're working from 9 to 4 then go to gym from 4:30 to 6 then back home. You can have each watch face for home, work and gym by set the location of automations to home, office and your favorite gym for example.
You can automate face by time like time of the day or sun rise/sun set as well.

So keep that in mind and set your watch faces to the maximum benefit to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.