Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
I'm waiting for the iPhone X Plus (or whatever it'll be called), until then I'm stuck on an old iPhone 6 Plus. The battery health is still at 88% which isn't too bad but I'd like to know some tips on settings to save some battery life or to improve performance. Like, Background App Refresh on or off, Location settings, screen brightness, etc.

I know I'm dealing with 1GB of RAM and an older phone but maybe this thread can help out my other broke friends who are stuck on the 6, 6S, 5S, etc? My iPhone stutters sometimes and it begins to get hot when using apps like Snapchat (I know, I know).

I don't want to lose push notifications but I don't know how much of a drain that is. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Ya, Background App Refresh, Location Settings, and turning brightness down and/or use Auto Setting (under General >> Accessibility >> Display Accommodations (Why did Apple have to bury this setting..)

You can also add Bluetooth and Wi-fi as well.... Disable both in Settings,, when n not in use.... They not not be connecting, but they are still scanning always when enabled.. Even though they may use low power, it all adds up when dealing with other stuff we do.

Other times you can selectively enable them when u need the option. and disable them when you don't, That's what i do, but if you prefer the convenience of automatically connecting, leave them on.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Ya, Background App Refresh, Location Settings, and turning brightness down and/or use Auto Setting (under General >> Accessibility >> Display Accommodations (Why did Apple have to bury this setting..)

You can also add Bluetooth and Wi-fi as well.... Disable both in Settings,, when n not in use.... They not not be connecting, but they are still scanning always when enabled.. Even though they may use low power, it all adds up when dealing with other stuff we do.

Other times you can selectively enable them when u need the option. and disable them when you don't, That's what i do, but if you prefer the convenience of automatically connecting, leave them on.

Wow thank you! So Background app refresh off? I used to always have it off back in iOS10 but then I was convinced that it actually drains more battery to have it off. I guess with 1GB of RAM, the less processes the better.

Which location settings do you have turned off?

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
Do not turn off background app refresh for the apps that you often use. Disable it for the ones that you don't use much.

You can see my location settings in the attached print screens. I don't know why other apps are not shown in the location area, but the ones not shown are not allowed to use it

Attachments

• IMG_0026.png
    IMG_0026.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0027.png
    IMG_0027.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0028.png
    IMG_0028.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0029.png
    IMG_0029.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Do not turn off background app refresh for the apps that you use often. Disable it for the ones that you don't use much.

You can see my location settings in the attached print screens. I don't know why other apps are not shown in the location area, but for the ones not shown are not allowed to use it

Even for battery vampires like Snapchat, Twitter, etc?

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
Yes, the stock app is good enough for me
[doublepost=1530293909][/doublepost]Also one more thing: let the apps be open in the ram memory. Do not close apps after using them. Close only the ones that you use rarely, leave the other ones open. In this way, they will stay open on the RAM memory, instead of using the processor to open them every time from 0, so it is better for the battery usage.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks! Really helpful. I'm curious as to wether having Background App Refresh on my social media apps that I use frequently would be worse or better with it turned off. Hmm...

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
You can try with them turned on, monitor the battery usage, then turn off and monitor the battery usage. But an 6 plus with 88% battery health remaining should be still good

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Wow thank you! So Background app refresh off? I used to always have it off back in iOS10 but then I was convinced that it actually drains more battery to have it off. I guess with 1GB of RAM, the less processes the better.

Which location settings do you have turned off?

I have location settings turned off for globally in Settings > Privacy > Location Services "Off"

You can also manage this on a 'per app" basis if the app lists it for more control, but i just prefer, turn it all off unless needed.

With Background refresh if also depends how any apps you actively keep running as well... One app with Background refresh 'on' will use less battery than two, or four apps with each having them on if supported. As not all apps support Background refresh, or list them..

It really depends.

Last edited:

Silent_Death_2

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018
I have location settings turned off for globally in Settings > Privacy > Location Services "Off"

You can also manage this on a 'per app" basis if the app lists it for more control, but i just prefer, turn it all off unless needed.

With Background refresh if also depends how any apps you actively keep running as well... One app with Background refresh 'on' will use less battery than two, or four apps with each having them on if supported. As not all apps support Background refresh, or list them..

It really depends.
What about Social media apps , or google maps ?

Silent_Death_2

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018
Google Maps does. but social apps would be in Settings >> <App name>.. You would see "Allow <app> to access:"

If location services is an option, it would be listed.
I meant the background app refresh is it good for the battery to leave it or off ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.