Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Does anyone have their Blink doorbell chime set up through HomePod? It appears you have to buy a hub for it to work…but these hubs are $200.
Might want to look at Homebridge for a free solution for integrating into Homekit

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
No, I run homebridge on a dedicated chromebox running linux. Some people use various SBCs or VMs too.
Watched a few videos and can be run on raspberry pi, boxes like you mention or a computer that’s always on. I’ll try it on my Mac to see if it’s worth getting into this more.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I have 5 OG and 5 Mini.
Out of all the products I have bought from Apple, starting with the Macintosh 512k, the Home Pods are:
1: Is a POS created by Apple due to Software/OS.
2: The best sounding Single Speaker system ever created so far for consumers. Truly amazing sound.

If you are ok with that, then go for it! :)

• Haha
Reactions: mikelets456

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Just an update---I got rid of all the Alexas in my home and switched to Homepod. The suggestions I would get every few days from Alexa were extremely concerning---It knew when I needed put the trash out for collection, it knew if I had off of work or was taking off, it knew when my dog barked and offered soothing music, etc.

Homepod has NOT done this for the 6 months I had it. Heck, even when I turned off all the suggestions/recordings, etc from Alexa it actually got worse.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Just an update---I got rid of all the Alexas in my home and switched to Homepod. The suggestions I would get every few days from Alexa were extremely concerning---It knew when I needed put the trash out for collection, it knew if I had off of work or was taking off, it knew when my dog barked and offered soothing music, etc.

Homepod has NOT done this for the 6 months I had it. Heck, even when I turned off all the suggestions/recordings, etc from Alexa it actually got worse.
alexa only gets better when you unplug it

• Haha
Reactions: mikelets456

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I wonder if 10 Alexas does't do the "I'm sorry I didn't get that" "There is a problem with Music" "This is taking too long" How about asking to play everywhere or all room or all speakers and 6 out of 10 play or 1 of them randomly stops and starts again. Or the volume changes on its own. The latest updates did nothing to fix any of these things. So I tell friends about the HomePod, if you have only one. Go for it. 2 or more, get ready for some frustration.

HomePod:
1: Is a POS created by Apple due to Software/OS.
2: The best sounding Single Speaker system ever created so far for consumers. Truly amazing sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.