Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loumedia

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2020
Yes, it was my post ;)
I think I need to read more about Lilu and other patches.

lol. My bad. Thanks again for recommending the changes! Thats weird your getting those scores. I am getting 90320 on geekbench 5 metal

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Non-OC data point:
* MP3,1 running Catalina, SIP disabled
* RX570 (same device-id as RX580, 0x67df)
* RadeonBoost linked into kernel (in /L/E)

The only difference RadeonBoost.kext seems to make is that the GPU fan hits 100% for about 5-10 seconds during mid-boot (remains slow/silent without the kext), which suggests that the kext is doing something. Various benchmarks were identical with/without the kext, and there is no noticeable difference in normal usage.
(EDIT: I do see the VBIOS Version and EFI Driver Version in System Information, so the kext is definitely being loaded.)

Do you think this is due to lack of explicit support for RX570, or something else? In every other context I've tested, the RX570 is functionally identical to the RX580, just slower.
I suppose it's the other way around, the optimisation for Polaris GPU is already very good, or nothing is locked. Therefore, you can't see the improvement.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
As an owner of a Radeon VII, the natural question then is: will it improve performance on anything besides GeekBench?

It does improve some things but not to a degree you'd expect based in the Geekbench jump. On my end Dirt4 runs a lot smoother with a Radeon VII and for some reason the card produces less heat.

I suppose it overrides whatever PowerPlay table you have already implemented?

Slow score is with the RadeonBoost kext (blue) and the normal score (green) is with my own overclock on VEGA FE.

No, my kext does not have anything to do with PowerPlay Tables. Read the first post in this topic. I explained what this kext does in detail. You are free to combine RadeonBoost with your PowerPlay Table.

I've install it in my 7,1 MacPro with a Vega 56 and the difference in performance looks very good in GeekBench. The downside is that now, my Vega 56 fan is loud even in idle. Any ideea how to turn it down ?

There is no way this kext can mess with your fans.

Reactions: tommy chen

miztahsparklez

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Some short notes. Performance is much improved for Borderlands 3. However, it doesn't do much for CS:GO.

I think depending on what acceleration the app/game is using, you may see huge improvements or none at all.

Luxmark score and Heaven was the same for me.

Reactions: pawkor

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Some short notes. Performance is much improved for Borderlands 3. However, it doesn't do much for CS:GO.

I think depending on what acceleration the app/game is using, you may see huge improvements or none at all.

Luxmark score and Heaven was the same for me.
Is CS:GO using Metal now? Or still OpenGL?

I think only Metal games may able to benefit from this kext.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is there a way of adapting this to work under Mojave for the vii and can I get this to work without opencore?
This kext does NOT require OpenCore, and it has nothing to do with OpenCore.

OpenCore is just one of the method to load this kext, therefore, just need to do it once, than all installed macOS can benefit from it. No need to install that one by one for each single macOS installation.

You can simply disable SIP and download the kext from post #1, then

1) Copy the RadeonBoost.kext to /Library/Extensions/ (NOT /System/Library/Extensions/)

2) Open Terminal, enter
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext
3) Enter
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext
4) Enter
Code:
sudo codesign --deep -fs - /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext
5) Enter
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions; kextcache -update-volume /
(May shows something like "No such file..." or "Error 107", don't worry, you can safely ignore them. This step is optional indeed)

6) Restart

Last edited:

IanK MacPro

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
Buckinghamshire, UK

OpenCore is just one of the method to load this kext, therefore, just need to do it once, than all installed macOS can benefit from it. No need to install that one by one for each single macOS installation.

You can simply download the kext from post #1, then

1) Copy the RadeonBoost.kext to /Library/Extensions/ (NOT /System/Library/Extensions/)

2) Open Terminal, enter
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext.kext
3) Enter
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext.kext
4) Enter
Code:
sudo codesign --deep -fs - /Library/Extensions/RadeonBoost.kext.kext
5) Enter
Code:
(May shows something like "No such file..." or "Error 107", don't worry, you can safely ignore them. This step is optional indeed)

6) Restart

thanks as always for your help, I’ll give this a go in the morning

lbuisson

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2018
France

You can simply download the kext from post #1, then

2) Open Terminal, enter
Code:
3) Enter
Code:
4) Enter
Code:
5) Enter
Code:

6) Restart
Hi

strange on last one I have this :
Mac-Pro:~ laurent$ sudo touch /Library/Extensions; kextcache -update-volume /
Warning: non-root can't lock the volume for /
Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory
Warning: non-root can't lock the volume for /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
KernelCache ID: FC0FA258BEF2046DC1A81E0123157576
Can't create /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel.8qIR - Permission denied.
Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[901] exited with status 70.
Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

Brask

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2020
Denmark
I just tested this on my cMP 5.1 / RX 580. But the speed increase is not as impressive as I was expecting from what I have seen posted here. As a matter of fact some test appear to be slower. I believe the kext is correctly installed and activated through OpenCore as I see the added lines in the System report:
Skærmbillede 2020-04-18 kl. 00.09.58.png

But as the GeekBench results show, the speed up is not fantastic:

BeforeAndAfter.png

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: leoaf79

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I just tested this on my cMP 5.1 / RX 580. But the speed increase is not as impressive as I was expecting from what I have seen posted here. As amateur of fact some test appear to be slower. I believe the kext is correctly installed and activated through OpenCore as I see the added lines in the System report:
View attachment 906926

But as the GeekBench results show the speed up is not fantastic:

View attachment 906931

Am I doing something wrong?
I believe the optimisation for RX580 (or Polaris) was pretty good already (even without this kext), therefore, can't see any noticeable improvement.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Hi

strange on last one I have this :
Mac-Pro:~ laurent$ sudo touch /Library/Extensions; kextcache -update-volume /
Warning: /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions: No such file or directory
Warning: non-root can't lock the volume for /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
KernelCache ID: FC0FA258BEF2046DC1A81E0123157576
Can't create /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel.8qIR - Permission denied.
Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[901] exited with status 70.
Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
Code:
spctl --master-disable
mount -uw /
killall Finder

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Has anyone tried using headless adapters in combination with this to see if there is a difference? Have a documented thread with issues using RX 5700 XT in eGPU with MBP16,1 that basically boosts performance significantly with DP1, DP2 and HDMI used in some capacity. Without all in use, scores are much lower.

NickPittMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020

You can simply disable SIP and download the kext from post #1, then

2) Open Terminal, enter
Code:
3) Enter
Code:
4) Enter
Code:
5) Enter
Code:

6) Restart

Ok... So It looks like I need some help. I've tried step by step several times to no avail. Mac Pro 6,1 with Radeon VII in eGPU. I do not get any errors and everything seems right as rain. I reboot and nothing is different. RadeonBoost is not listed when running kextstat. SIP is disabled and I know all is well with that because I just did a fresh install and loaded PureWrangler right before this. I know there was some question as to whether this would work with an eGPU or not and perhaps that is the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.14.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.14.44 PM.png
    451 KB · Views: 314
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.13.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.13.17 PM.png
    620.6 KB · Views: 234

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
No, my kext does not have anything to do with PowerPlay Tables. Read the first post in this topic. I explained what this kext does in detail. You are free to combine RadeonBoost with your PowerPlay Table.

Ok, weird I see the 14K drop but certain sub scores are way better while others are far worse.

I also had constant fan noise after it revved up, like other users have mentioned with VEGA 10.

Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
This is the detail scores comparison from my Radeon VII.
View attachment 906859
Apparently Something like Sobel can benefit from this kext a lot. But Stereo Matching perform pretty much the same.

And NO, this kext shouldn't infringe the PowerPlay kext for downvolting. I checked that on my cMP.

The Sobel performance is much worse on VEGA 10 with RadeonBoost.kext.

2.03 Gpixels/sec versus 13.4Gpixels/sec.

As well as Depth of field.

124.8 Mpixels/sec versus 1.73 Gpixels/sec.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Ok, weird I see the 14K drop but certain sub scores are way better while others are far worse.

I also had constant fan noise after it revved up, like other users have mentioned with VEGA 10.

You stopped using your PowerPlay Table or not? If you dropped the PPT of course you get lower scores. Try using your PPT along RadeonBoost.

Strange. This doesn't happen on Hackintoshes. Have you tried resetting PRAM / NVRAM and SMC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.