Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sananda

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I repeatedly get asked to enter my Apple ID password and it’s getting tiresome. So I made a note these past three weeks about how often it’s happening. This week have been asked three times (one each on my iPhone, iPad Air and iPad Pro). On the iPhone it said it was for iCloud Backup. And it was the same the week before: three times, one each on iPhone (Backup), iPad Air and iPad Pro. The week before that I got asked twice (one each on iPad Air and iPad Pro).

On each occasion I’m offered the option to upgrade the account to two factor authentication which I turn down. Is it possible I get asked the enter the password so often because I don’t have two factor authentication turned on?

Reactions: 211

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
It may be because you don't have 2FA on. Since it's happening on 3 devices, it can't be a coincidence. But why wouldn't you want to have 2FA on to begin with? Without it, if someone discovers your credentials through any means, you will lose access to your account.

Reactions: russell_314

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
I think because I’m worried I won’t have appropriate trustee device with me at the crucial moment.

I’ve used it since it was a thing and it’s not a practical problem. Besides sending direct to your devices, backup methods by email or SMS are available. If you use your phone number with iMessage, then you can get the code direct to any device that way also, including the one you are on.

sananda

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 24, 2007
It may be because you don't have 2FA on.
Since turning on 2FA I haven’t been asked to enter my Apple ID password.

There is a problem though. My MacBook (on High Sierra) has a badge on the System Preferences icon and I am asked to update Apple ID settings (”some account services will not be available until you sign in again”). But when I try to do so it says “go to one of your other devices signed in to iCloud to approve this MacBook”. But nothing comes up on any my devices.

I haven‘t noticed any services being unavailable though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.