Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Anyone think Apple may bring back the Link band in a new titanium finish? Lots of sports/dive watches have titanium bracelets, and with the success of the Ultra, now seems like a great time to do it. They would also only need to produce one size.

Seems like any easy win to add a $500 upsell to the Ultra.

Reactions: twanj

rhemy123

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2021
That would be nice, but the watch isn’t a dress watch. I don’t know if titanium as a band is great for hardcore sports.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
That would be nice, but the watch isn’t a dress watch. I don’t know if titanium as a band is great for hardcore sports.
Dress watches typically go with leather bands, wearing dive watches as formal dress is a fairly recent trend. Even still, every historical dive/sport watch has had a metal band - see the Submariner or Seamaster. Many modern titanium dive watches include both rubber and titanium straps.

Reactions: Elvergun

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Nomad sells one but it looks like a different color than Apple’s. I’m sure lots of third parties will make 49mm titanium options soon.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Nomad sells one but it looks like a different color than Apple’s. I’m sure lots of third parties will make 49mm titanium options soon.

Oh that’s disappointing to hear. I was actually thinking about placing an order based on this article. But if the colour doesn’t match I might have to rethink..

Reactions: Dguitarnut

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Oh that’s disappointing to hear. I was actually thinking about placing an order based on this article. But if the colour doesn’t match I might have to rethink..

Oh, I haven’t seen it in person. Just read someone here claim it isn’t the same and I figured they were right based on the product pics - but the pictures there look great and I can’t say for sure why others guessed it wouldn’t match. Based on that article, I’d consider ordering it. Seems like a match in the pics!

Reactions: supertomtom

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Also not sure of the quality or genuine material, but Ringke makes a cheap alternative:
One thing I like about the nomad style is that the clasp comes apart allowing the two straps to be put on and taken off separately. Makes switching bands so much easier. Guess I’ll wait for more reviews.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
I think the stainless link is close enough that 99% of people wouldn’t blink twice, even the wearer within 2 mins of putting it on. They go well together.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Titianium Link Bracelet doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I doubt Apple will ever do it. They never even made the original Link Bracelet in 44mm or 40mm, they're still selling the 42mm and 38mm bands from the original production run.

Simply put, it won't sell enough units.

Reactions: dor2201

IT Provisor

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2022
California, USA
Titianium Link Bracelet doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I doubt Apple will ever do it. They never even made the original Link Bracelet in 44mm or 40mm, they're still selling the 42mm and 38mm bands from the original production run.

Simply put, it won't sell enough units.
That's also probably why there still isn't a gold link bracelet to match the Series 6/7/8 stainless steel finish. However, that's not to say that Apple wouldn't do it in the future, especially since they bothered to make the black link bracelet slightly lighter in shade compared to the original launch space black variant to match a little better (at least, that's what I've heard)...

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
That's also probably why there still isn't a gold link bracelet to match the Series 6/7/8 stainless steel finish. However, that's not to say that Apple wouldn't do it in the future, especially since they bothered to make the black link bracelet slightly lighter in shade compared to the original launch space black variant to match a little better (at least, that's what I've heard)...
Gold Link Bracelet will never happen. Apple made only 3 as part of the original 18kt Edition promo, then that was it. Around the Series 2, though, Apple experimented with a "gold stainless steel" Apple Watch, photos of these units probably exist on some archive account on Twitter. With the GSS Series 2, though, Apple also created a few bands in the gold stainless color. More specifically, a Link Bracelet & Milanese Loop. Obviously, neither the bands nor the watch made it to production. If they decided matching bands wouldn't work back then, I doubt they'll be revisiting.

You can see photos of the only OEM Gold Link Bracelet outside of Apple's vault (that we know of, anyway) in my Rare Bands! thread. I've also uploaded pictures of the Yellow Gold Milanese Loop (prototype) as well as both the Yellow Gold Link Bracelet & Milanese Loop bands next to a genuine 18kt Edition Classic Buckle (demo) for color comparison.

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Its so funny, I love teh stainless steel link. I have one literally on my wrist right now from my original Series 0 42 (attached to my stainless s6 44).
-Shaow

IT Provisor

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2022
California, USA
Gold Link Bracelet will never happen. Apple made only 3 as part of the original 18kt Edition promo, then that was it. Around the Series 2, though, Apple experimented with a "gold stainless steel" Apple Watch, photos of these units probably exist on some archive account on Twitter. With the GSS Series 2, though, Apple also created a few bands in the gold stainless color. More specifically, a Link Bracelet & Milanese Loop. Obviously, neither the bands nor the watch made it to production. If they decided matching bands wouldn't work back then, I doubt they'll be revisiting.

You can see photos of the only OEM Gold Link Bracelet outside of Apple's vault (that we know of, anyway) in my Rare Bands! thread. I've also uploaded pictures of the Yellow Gold Milanese Loop (prototype) as well as both the Yellow Gold Link Bracelet & Milanese Loop bands next to a genuine 18kt Edition Classic Buckle (demo) for color comparison.
I have looked at your (much appreciated) posts, and I must say that it's interesting to think of the possibilities of what could be. At any rate, I wouldn't say never, but it does seem highly unlikely at this point since Apple haven't done anything to their stainless steel link line since the original. The one glimmer of hope is that, since they did the Milanese Loop in gold to match not only the bronze-ish Series 4 and 5, but also the same for the traditional gold-looking Series 6-8.

At any rate, if not Apple, you could look at reputable 3rd parties to make one at some point. For example, Nomad (who's my favorite 3rd party band maker to date) has a stainless steel that matches the silver and black models, along with a titanium band to match the Ultra (which I'm eyeing). When I talked their customer service, I was informed that they were thinking about doing a gold version, as well, although no formal plans exist at the moment.

Although not reputable, the ONLY near-perfect match link that I've seen to this day is the one from MintApple, but the quality wasn't that good and their return policy/customer service is of the same caliber.

With all of that in mind, only time will tell where we Apple goes next and what they do with their bands, colors, etc. That's why I say to never say never, although I get your sentiment and point...

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
The one glimmer of hope is that, since they did the Milanese Loop in gold to match not only the bronze-ish Series 4 and 5, but also the same for the traditional gold-looking Series 6-8.
Worth noting that the Milanese Loop is $349 cheaper than the Link Bracelet. Whole lot more people buy that one.

Although not reputable, the ONLY near-perfect match link that I've seen to this day is the one from MintApple, but the quality wasn't that good and their return policy/customer service is of the same caliber.
This looks like someone just reselling an AliExpress link bracelet. I’ve actually seen closer links on AliExpress than that one, it’s missing Apple’s butterfly clasp design. I’d bet it’s also missing removable links. I didn’t look too closely.

just one of many many examples

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
6A67519D-1D24-4BC5-98D7-47DD4509A705.jpeg
1DAD8D14-8A7E-41D9-9A8F-BF4A7143E8C6.jpeg
Oh, I haven’t seen it in person. Just read someone here claim it isn’t the same and I figured they were right based on the product pics - but the pictures there look great and I can’t say for sure why others guessed it wouldn’t match. Based on that article, I’d consider ordering it. Seems like a match in the pics!
I have the nomad - it pretty close to the ultra. Closer than it was to the series 7 titanium. The ultra is ever so slightly more brown golden but it’s a subtle difference.

Reactions: Dguitarnut

IT Provisor

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2022
California, USA
I have the nomad - it pretty close to the ultra. Closer than it was to the series 7 titanium. The ultra is ever so slightly more brown golden but it’s a subtle difference.
I just ordered that for my Ultra, which it looks like, worst case scenario, I'll be getting it by January 25th (which I HIGHLY doubt, but you never know), although I have a feeling I'll get it before Christmas or perhaps even next month as, from my experience, these kinds of things are underpromise and overdeliver...

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Worth noting that the Milanese Loop is $349 cheaper than the Link Bracelet. Whole lot more people buy that one.
The Space Black version, yes. Prior to reading this thread, I didn’t even realize Apple still sold the Link Bracelet and was even more surprised to see that the silver one is $349. I paid $449 in 2015 (glad I bought it separately from my S0 because it came with the lined plastic case).

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
The Space Black version, yes. Prior to reading this thread, I didn’t even realize Apple still sold the Link Bracelet and was even more surprised to see that the silver one is $349. I paid $449 in 2015 (glad I bought it separately from my S0 because it came with the lined plastic case).
I'm missing those plastic cases! I need one to hold my gold link bracelet, currently have it in a leather loop case but that still feels wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.