Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
Why did Apple switch from titanium to aluminum in the high-end laptops? Titanium is about twice as strong as aluminum is is much more scratch resistant.

I know they made the change forever ago, but I've alsways wondered why. Especially as notebooks get thinner and thinner, I would think they'd pursue stronger and stronger materials, rather than the other way around. Yes I know that aluminum is cheaper of course. But then why did they go titanium before?

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
You mentioned durability---

If I remember correctly, many Titanium PB owners have complained of paint wearing off their laptops. Also, hinge problems..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I remember that another theory (it makes sense, fwiw) is that Al has better heat dissipation characteristics than Titanium.... by a fairly large degree, IIRC, like a factor of 10 or 20 larger.

Helfeather

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
Why did Apple switch from titanium to aluminum in the high-end laptops? Titanium is about twice as strong as aluminum is is much more scratch resistant.

I know they made the change forever ago, but I've alsways wondered why. Especially as notebooks get thinner and thinner, I would think they'd pursue stronger and stronger materials, rather than the other way around. Yes I know that aluminum is cheaper of course. But then why did they go titanium before?

Cause it's cheaper and if they could provide enough reasons for it, people will accept it.

sellitman

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
CT
Its probably easier to re-cycle aluminum. Jobs did promice to be greener right?
recycle_computer.png

Eallan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Titanium's thermal conductivity is 17 W/m-K versus 210 W/m-K on aluminum.

Aluminum is cheaper and easier to work too.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Where did you get that Ti is more scratch resistant than Al?

Anodized Al is far far more scratch resistant than Ti as I understand it.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
There is also the issue that although Titanium is abundant, refining and manufacturing with it is not that easy. Most companies that use titanium actually implement a titanium alloy for a number of reasons. Easier to manufacture, and overcomes some of titanium's inherent deficiencies such as susceptibility to cold temperatures. However, even with an alloy, titanium is still fairly brittle in teh cold (I used to play lacrosse, most of us used titanium alloy shafts since they were cheaper than the more exotic alloys but still very light. However, I personally witnessed 3 different Ti-Alloy shafts break in the cold)

Plus the heat dissipation issue, Anodized Aluminum is the better way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.