Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
Some of you have already tried Skyrim in Boot camp on the new tMBP, did you also experience sound issues there? Both Skyrim and Skyrim Enhanced have these issues, where you can hear some sounds, but not all of them. In game music doesn't work either. Strangely enough, Fallout 4 works great, just like any other game...

smeck

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
Aalesund Norway
Some of you have already tried Skyrim in Boot camp on the new tMBP, did you also experience sound issues there? Both Skyrim and Skyrim Enhanced have these issues, where you can hear some sounds, but not all of them. In game music doesn't work either. Strangely enough, Fallout 4 works great, just like any other game...
Is it weapon sounds?
I had the same issue on my gaming PC i had to install the game in the same driver as Windows, there is a weird copy protection that needs to be in the same drive as the OS.
I hope that solves your problem.

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
It is weapon sounds, magic sounds, most footsteps and music. It feels almost as if the sounds are playing but due to the drivers or something They arent reaching the actual headphones/speakers.

I have it installed on the main Bootcamp drive, so I'm not sure any more what could be the cause :( How can I play Fallout 4 without issue, while even the most recent version of Skyrim Enhanced doesn't work?
To me it sounds like a serious driver issue.
The Cirrus Logic CS4206B on my rMBP 2012 doesn't have that issue.

Any more ideas?

Could it be OS related? Would Windows 7 or 8.1 work on the 2016 tMBP?

smeck

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
Aalesund Norway
It is weapon sounds, magic sounds, most footsteps and music. It feels almost as if the sounds are playing but due to the drivers or something They arent reaching the actual headphones/speakers.

I have it installed on the main Bootcamp drive, so I'm not sure any more what could be the cause :( How can I play Fallout 4 without issue, while even the most recent version of Skyrim Enhanced doesn't work?
To me it sounds like a serious driver issue.
The Cirrus Logic CS4206B on my rMBP 2012 doesn't have that issue.

Any more ideas?

Could it be OS related? Would Windows 7 or 8.1 work on the 2016 tMBP?

It should not be OS related it is a known problem with Skyrim only,you can try WIN 7 but i think its the same issue there also. You can see if you can search on google on the subject,hopefully you can solve the issue.
Maybe the Windows driver for Cirrus Logic need a update i would also try that.

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
Does Windows 7 even work on the new tMBP? A working Skyrim but a non functional MBP due to driver issues arent really a solution either. I am considering to write to Cirrus Logic to see if they can somehow solve the issue by delivering a newer driver -- but then again: Why should they do anything for one single customer... That CS8409 isnt even listed on their website.. :(

smeck

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
Aalesund Norway
Does Windows 7 even work on the new tMBP? A working Skyrim but a non functional MBP due to driver issues arent really a solution either. I am considering to write to Cirrus Logic to see if they can somehow solve the issue by delivering a newer driver -- but then again: Why should they do anything for one single customer... That CS8409 isnt even listed on their website.. :(
That is not good that they don't even list their drivers, did you have sound on skyrim before?
I would not buy a tMBP just to play games to much money in europe, if you are looking to buy a new computer just buy a PC and build it yourself.
Just use your MBP for the stuff you need MacOS for.

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
Of Course I wouldnt just buy the MBP for gaming, that would be pretty crazy. I am using my MBP for work - but when I do have some time on my Hands, I like to do some gaming on these machines, as they are quite capable and offer great portability and design at the same time. Yesterday I enjoyed a round of Fallout 4 on Ultra...it is amazing how well it works in comparison to the 2012 rMBP!

Anways, I have working sound on my rMBP of 2012 and I also have working sound in Fallout 4 (same engine) on my tMBP 2016 - so I really dont know whats going on anymore. 1875 People have seen this thread since I posted this message and apparently no one has had any issue with Skyrim??? How can that be? Vanilla steam Version without mods - that Thing should work!

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
Is there anyway to force a certain hertz setting in Windows 10? I can only select 48.000Hz, so I believe that maybe the issue is that the sound chip/driver isn't capable of delivering above or below that frequency, which causes my issue..

Its a long shot really. I even wrote to Cirrus Logic to see if they have a solution.

All this makes me wonder, if I am the only one, who tried Skyrim on the 15" tMBP and who has this issue.

jlangli

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
I don't have any advice but I also have a new 2016 15" MBP and am experiencing the exact same problem.

KadenCalderwood

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
I don't have any advice but I also have a new 2016 15" MBP and am experiencing the exact same problem.

I also have the new 2016 15'' MBP with 2TB HD and upgraded graphics card and processor. I have searched the depths of the internet and cant find anything

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
So all of us with new MBP could have this issue then? Someone over at Bethesda' forums suggested to uninstall ffdshow – but how do you do that in Windows 10?

shigatashway

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
Can confirm, having same issue. I also have a crashing problem with Assassin's Creed 4. The reason I mention this is that on the forums, the proposed solution that people have confirmed works is moving the game's installation onto the C: drive. There is something weird with the way bootcamp is installing Windows to make it think that the C: drive isn't.

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
Can confirm, having same issue. I also have a crashing problem with Assassin's Creed 4. The reason I mention this is that on the forums, the proposed solution that people have confirmed works is moving the game's installation onto the C: drive. There is something weird with the way bootcamp is installing Windows to make it think that the C: drive isn't.

I had it installed on C - no luck unfortunately :( I am thinking that it might be driver related.. I wonder when we will ever see an update for the audio driver...

Are there any other variants of the driver that I could try installing?

steviebuzz

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
Glasgow
Yep, same here. 2016 tMBP with Skyrim running on Win10 through BootCamp. Run Oblivion with music coming through no problem. All other sounds in Skyrim seem to be fine but no music. I tried the "remove music" console commands for all the music files (as per Google search) but no joy. I'll see if I can find out how to remove ffdshow.

steviebuzz

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
Glasgow
So all of us with new MBP could have this issue then? Someone over at Bethesda' forums suggested to uninstall ffdshow – but how do you do that in Windows 10?

OK, I've had a thorough search through my BootCamp installation of Windows 10 but can find no mention of ffdshow having been installed, so no joy in trying to remove that!

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
Same thing here, simply can't be found. I was kind of hoping that that Boot camp update which specifically mentioned audio updates, would solve the issue, but again no luck. What exactly can be done to fix the problem? Will it be like this for the remainder of this Macbook´s lifespan?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the combination of Windows 10 an this Macbook. Has anyone tried a newer or older build of Windows 10? Or Windows 7,8 or 8.1?

nvgeele

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2017
I'm having the same issue, tried all "solutions" people have suggested all over the internet. Nothing works... Hope this problem gets fixed soon...

Kehlaa

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
Looks like the only one way to solve this problem for today is to install Skyrim on an external hdd. I tried that and it works pretty well. I played Skyrim LE for about 1 hour and found no sound issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.