Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Wondering if anyone has tried something. My daughter uses my old iPhone as a iPod with no SIM chip in it. However, I would really like to put a chip in there in case she loses it, so I can use Find My iPhone (it's almost happened once before). However, I do not want her to have any calling/texting abilities (she's too young for that). And 200 MB would be more than sufficient for only needing to turn on Find My iPhone every once in a great while. So, here's what I'm wondering.

Can I set up my cellular iPad 3 with a chip, set up the 200 MB free data on Tmobile, and then take the chip out, and put it into her iPhone? Will that work? Will their network recognize that it's no longer in an iPad, but in an iPhone? Will it shut it off?

I will likely give it a try soon, but just wondering if anyone has already tried it, and can tell me "Yes it worked" or "No, it doesn't. Don't waste your time."

Thanks in advance!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Just tried it and it no longer works. You can do it with a paid data plan but not with the 200MB free plan. The reason is because you are getting the data for free.

Once I pay for a data plan, I can then use that sim in my Nexus 7 or iPhone but the sim has to be using that paid data plan and can not still be using the 200MB free before it switches to the paid plan.

The iPhone I tested this with is a T-Mobile 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.