Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I have an iPad 3G and I:

• Do not utilize the 3G feature at all

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Tether using a mobile phone

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Subscribe to the AT&T $14.99 Plan (250MB)

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Subscribe to the AT&T Unlimited Plan, $29.99

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

MacAddiction

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I've had the iPad 3G for a little over a week and a half now. I stared at it the first day or two, afraid to put finger prints on the screen. Now I can't put it down. My hope was/is to eliminate having to lug my Macbook Pro around the city.

I've spent several days traveling around NYC for business meetings with time to kill in between. You can get 2 hours of free wi-fi at Starbucks each day, and for you New Yorkers, you know there's one on just about every corner. Sometimes at meetings when I'm unable to connect to wi-fi, I have a moment when I wish I had 3G, but not too often.

Anyone else who lives in a large city on the fence on whether to pull the $30 per month trigger?

Happy iPadding!:cool::cool:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm using the 250mb plan for now and as it turns out most of that will go to waste once the plan expires in a week. If you are careful not to watch video content (it sucks over 3G anyway) then I think the cheaper plan is plenty.

I might updgrade to the $30 when I go visit my family for a month--since they don't have wifi.

MacAddiction

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I'm using the 250mb plan for now and as it turns out most of that will go to waste once the plan expires in a week. If you are careful not to watch video content (it sucks over 3G anyway) then I think the cheaper plan is plenty.

I might updgrade to the $30 when I go visit my family for a month--since they don't have wifi.

Go with 250 first to see your usage tendencies, then if you find you're going low fast, get unlimited.

Thanks.....that is great advice. I assumed I would just chew through 250MB but I don't really watch video. I may take the $14.99 plunge!

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I activated the 250MB plan 14 days ago and I still have only used 19.6 MBs. Unlimited would be a waste for me with my current regular usage, but I am glad it's available for when I travel or when I'm visiting family without a wifi.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
I would just use the ipad whereever you desire, and if you find yourself in a place w/out wifi, then activate. No pressure to hand att your money :rolleyes:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I've had the iPad 3G for a little over a week and a half now. I stared at it the first day or two, afraid to put finger prints on the screen. Now I can't put it down. My hope was/is to eliminate having to lug my Macbook Pro around the city.

I've spent several days traveling around NYC for business meetings with time to kill in between. You can get 2 hours of free wi-fi at Starbucks each day, and for you New Yorkers, you know there's one on just about every corner. Sometimes at meetings when I'm unable to connect to wi-fi, I have a moment when I wish I had 3G, but not too often.

Anyone else who lives in a large city on the fence on whether to pull the $30 per month trigger?

Happy iPadding!:cool::cool:

Do you have a cell phone that can be a hotspot? Might kill one of those few short sessions in order to postpone the 250mb in a month payment. If you predict that you'll need 250mb, use that, if you start to hit over 250, use unlimited. You can always start with 250 as it is only 15$ a month to start tracking your usage over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.