Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AM2354

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2020
So, is it safe to Beta test and get the updates earlier than everyone else? I know there is a risk of having programs crash, but can you void any warranties or brick or phone, which would be my general concerns. I like to hear your opinions before I do something I may regret. Thank you everyone, I appreciate it.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’m always jumping on and off the beta train, not having any issues whatsoever.

Jumped on iOS 13, 14 and 15 betas straight after WWDC, didn’t have any problems at all.

Make sure you have a recent backup, then you’re good to go. ?

Currently running iOS 15.4

1647058925968.jpeg

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
Been doing beta for years with zero problems go for it you will like it. If there was ever an issue apple fixes the next day.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Contrary to what others said here, I can’t recommend using betas. Been a beta tester since iOS 9 but stopped with iOS 15 because, first off betas began to stink with iOS 14 and considering public releases of 15 are bad, the betas can’t be much better.
Also, I developed the feeling that even if you finally get to a public release, bits of „beta“ stay behind that may cause some bugs, at least in my experience. At least I got to think that because clean installs resolved some of them usually.
To run betas just to have anything before anyone else isnt really smart or a nice characteristic trait either, just saying.
But try it, you won’t void your warranty or anything.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I have done beta testing for years for iOS. Only had one issue where my bank app did not work until further updates. The big thing is if you can use a secondary device.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Also, I developed the feeling that even if you finally get to a public release, bits of „beta“ stay behind that may cause some bugs, at least in my experience. At least I got to think that because clean installs resolved some of them usually.
Been running betas since iOS 13, never done a clean install, always OTA, phone is still running like a beast.

To run betas just to have anything before anyone else isnt really smart or a nice characteristic trait either, just saying.

Bit harsh lol, public betas are free, anyone can jump on public beta software if they want to.

also maybe some people like running beta software, I don’t see a problem with that.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Been running betas since iOS 13, never done a clean install, always OTA, phone is still running like a beast.

Bit harsh lol, public betas are free, anyone can jump on public beta software if they want to.

also maybe some people like running beta software, I don’t see a problem with that.
Good to know that you didn’t have any problems. That helped me how much the last few years? OP asked about negativ consequences of running betas. I got my experiences, you got yours, but that doesn’t invalidate mine, does it?
And yes, there’s no problem with running betas per se, I enjoyed it a lot myself, until I didn’t.
And honestly, OP said himself he wants to have the features earlier than everyone else. I’m just honest here ?
Anyway, OP, go for it. Do make a backup like LFC2020 said, and see where the trains heading for yourself. You can always jump off.

Reactions: LFC2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.