Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokka

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
So I need to buy a new pair of headphones and I dont know which ones to buy. I used to own Master & Dynamic MH40 (wired). They were expensive when I bought them and lasted me a good 4 years. It still works but the stitching is all worn out.
I want to buy the Apple airpods max especially since they are on sale but I have heard really mixed reviews about them so not sure if I should buy them or not. I did consider Bose 700 but the build quality is plastic which Im not a fan of and their support is terrible if something does happen to the headphones. I was initially going to buy Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC but I just found out that they have been discontinued.
I mainly want the headphones for watching movies on my macbook, editing on my macbook and to listen to music on spotify and use it for meditation and most importantly for video calls.
Seeing that Apple has a Black Friday deal of $75 gift voucher and that you can find Max for $450 on Amazon Im very tempted to buy them but I hate the fact that they dont have 3.5mm cable and the stupid case!
Can anyone recommend any other good headphones (no sonys) or should I just buy the Apple Air Pods Max?

Also, I own airpods pro for general everyday use.

Thanks
(Also is Apple support good on Airpods max?)

Last edited:

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone recommend any other good headphones (no sonys) or should I just buy the Apple Air Pods Max?

Also, I own airpods pro for general everyday use.

Thanks
(Also is Apple support good on Airpods max?)

I've had my APM for a year (literally since launch day) and they are the best, most useful headphones I've ever had. The fact that they sound incredible is great, but the fact that they seamlessly work with whatever Apple device I'm using is the best. The case isn't an issue. I never use mine unless I'm traveling... just lay them down with the earcups down and they'll go into low power mode.

As for other options, the V-Moda M-200 ANC, Master and Dynamics MW65s, Yamaha YH-L700A, or B&W PX7. I used three of those and chose the APM because none of these are going to blow the others away in sound quality. They were all great with a few differences. The look, build, and convenience of the APM won me over.

lokka

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Thanks! That's the answer I had been looking for :). I think I'd rather get APM over B&W or M&D just coz I have Apple for everything. Another question for you is - should I buy Apple care+ for the headphones? My main worry is that the mesh is going to tear :(
I've had my APM for a year (literally since launch day) and they are the best, most useful headphones I've ever had. The fact that they sound incredible is great, but the fact that they seamlessly work with whatever Apple device I'm using is the best. The case isn't an issue. I never use mine unless I'm traveling... just lay them down with the earcups down and they'll go into low power mode.

As for other options, the V-Moda M-200 ANC, Master and Dynamics MW65s, Yamaha YH-L700A, or B&W PX7. I used three of those and chose the APM because none of these are going to blow the others away in sound quality. They were all great with a few differences. The look, build, and convenience of the APM won me over.

Reactions: haruhiko

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
As a professional producer my whole life I’ve owned all manner of high end cans. I’m seriously impressed at the quality, ease of use and comfort of Airpod Max. Sure they’re coloured and latent and yes they’re not lossless but outside of performing or recording live with them they are fantastic. Easy and sound great. Quality.

Reactions: scrane and haruhiko

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010

How long does it take for them to go into low power mode? Don't you have to put them into their case for them to turn off?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It's amazing to me that anyone is "impressed with the comfort" on these.

It must be super subjective.

On my head these things were too heavy (moving around too easily) and the clamp force (particularly above the ears) was just totally unenjoyable.

To each our own I guess.

Reactions: booksbooks

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Thanks! That's the answer I had been looking for :). I think I'd rather get APM over B&W or M&D just coz I have Apple for everything. Another question for you is - should I buy Apple care+ for the headphones? My main worry is that the mesh is going to tear :(
Don’t buy them or the insurance

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
It's amazing to me that anyone is "impressed with the comfort" on these.

It must be super subjective.

On my head these things were too heavy (moving around too easily) and the clamp force (particularly above the ears) was just totally unenjoyable.

To each our own I guess.
Indeed.
When i compare it to xm3, the Sony is lighter But the fake leather is not breathable And feels much more icky.
The max is heavy, but earcups are fabric, washable, and super easy to replace. That along with the simple button controls and ecosystem integration is what sold me on them. They are priced 50% more than US Pricing in my country so I haven’t bought two pairs. Hope to get a another pair for dad before they are inevitably discontinued, ala homepods.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

The mesh is really tough. I don't treat mine gently, and I haven't had a problem. I got a "sweater" for the headband wThe bigger problem is that if you get one of the lighter colors (silver like mine or green) you're going to have to worry about them getting dirty. I wash the white earcups once a week at least.

topbin

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2020
UK
Hi,

Hijacking this thread a little bit, but recently got a bonus at work and was thinking of treating myself to these given they’re over £100 off on Amazon.
When do you guys use them most? I don’t think I’d use them for exercising or even walking to/from work which is when I use them most.

I might use them for music when I’m working from home (particularly if I want to listen to anything louder while the kids are home), and my main couple of times I can see myself using them are at home watching a movie when the kids are asleep and for once-monthly train journeys (well, once each way).
I have AirPods 3 too which I’d use for exercising/walking. When do you all use yours versus ‘normal’ AirPods?

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
Hi,

Hijacking this thread a little bit, but recently got a bonus at work and was thinking of treating myself to these given they’re over £100 off on Amazon.
When do you guys use them most? I don’t think I’d use them for exercising or even walking to/from work which is when I use them most.

I might use them for music when I’m working from home (particularly if I want to listen to anything louder while the kids are home), and my main couple of times I can see myself using them are at home watching a movie when the kids are asleep and for once-monthly train journeys (well, once each way).
I have AirPods 3 too which I’d use for exercising/walking. When do you all use yours versus ‘normal’ AirPods?
i use for at home listening, maybe some facetime calls, and phone calls

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
For me, they are my go-to choice for listening while working, or just listening for pure enjoyment. AirPods Pro for exercising and listening in bed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.