Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Hey,

I am new to macs.
I can buy a recent ibook for $500. Do you think this is worth it, compared to just saving for a new mac book or mbp?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Even as an owner of an iBook G4@800, a machine I have been very happy with for 99.99% of the last 2 1/2 years, I'd say: Go for the MacBook. It will be a whole different switching experience to go to current hardware and not "recent"... :)

One question though: How recent is the iBook? If it's the latest version and has a lot of RAM, and you want to use a lot of applications that hasn't gone universal yet, then the iBook might just be a good buy, after all...

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Planner Dude said:
Hey,

I am new to macs.
I can buy a recent ibook for $500. Do you think this is worth it, compared to just saving for a new mac book or mbp?

Depends, how old is the Ibook is? Because if it is a newer Ibook that is a good deal, you can always sell it . Its a great start. but if you have the money to spend buy a macbook. If you looking to save get the ibook.

Let us know what does the Ibook come with?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I'd go with the Macbook. Saving $500 more can't be too difficult. And by then you might be able to get a faster machine ;)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
The MacBook is the far better purchase and the saving you will get going for a iBook is defiantly not worth the saving, you get so much more with the MacBook in terms of hardware regardless if you need the performance or not....

SHadoW

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Acehigh said:
Depends, how old is the Ibook is? Because if it is a newer Ibook that is a good deal, you can always sell it . Its a great start. but if you have the money to spend buy a macbook. If you looking to save get the ibook.

Let us know what does the Ibook come with?

I am under the assumption that it was the latest ibook release. It was bought around a year ago and my brother-in-law's sister-in-law wants to sell it, since she doesn't really use it much.

Normally I'd jump at this type of opprotunity ($500 for a 1 year old computer),
but I am wondering how much life I'd really get out of it since everything is migrating to an intel chip.

If I can use it for a year or two and then sell it...I'd assume it is worth it...but who knows??????

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
Planner Dude said:
Hey,

I am new to macs.
FOLKS.... what are you talking about! 500 bucks for an iBook.... that is a steal!!!! how new are we talking. Wow. I would easily take advantage gettign an ibook for that cheap. Granted the macbook is a great computer, but 1000 extra bucks.... what are you going to use it for? i have to vote iBook on this one. Not everyone needs to have the top of the line tech at all time.... many people on here dont agree with that, but do not pass up an awesome deal like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.