Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i was really hoping for an intel mac mini. now i'm considering the new imac 17". i actually had about $1100 to spend on a mac mini (with money left over), but the imac is tempting. when do you think a new mac mini will be out? will it really be a pvr? that's what i really wanted. what do you think? go for the imac?

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
twoodcc said:
i was really hoping for an intel mac mini. now i'm considering the new imac 17". i actually had about $1100 to spend on a mac mini (with money left over), but the imac is tempting. when do you think a new mac mini will be out? will it really be a pvr? that's what i really wanted. what do you think? go for the imac?

Um yeah. Definately. An iMac is just....so much better than a Mac Mini in so many ways.

The Yonah Dual Core will outrun the single core yonah that they'll probably put in a Mac Mini by a landslide.

Plus, you get it now :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
twoodcc said:

The iMacs are a great deal. Just save up a little bit more and get one. The minis will always be somewhat weak in terms of performance and the price isn't really THAT much greater. As for when they will be updated - some time before the end of the year. :p

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
dude ide wait just a little long to see what major or minior tech glitches come up in the intels
if everything looks good go for it
if not could could always fall back on a refurbished from apple or a used one

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah, i guess you're right. but i already have an extra monitor. and it's not that upgradeable. i guess a mac mini isn't either. it only holds 2GB of ram though, is that enough? what about messing around with HD video? can it handle it? could i at least watch something in HD on it?

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
After today's announcement many would even feel hesitant about advicing whether to wait or not. Surprises are going to only increase with this Intel switch. If it's a true PVR you are looking for then I would wait. After today's MWSF it's clear that the software and deals with media companies are not in place yet for a mac computer, thus I think the reason the mac mini did not receive an update. The iMac is a beast now and can push 1080p externally which is awesome. Also, EyeTV is a great program, but not sure how it runs on Rosetta at the moment or if at all. So a lot of the 3rd Party apps that help make the iMac G5 close to a HDTV PVR are in question when they will run natively. You can enjoy your system now for iLife apps, word processing, browsing, watching DVD's..etc...But if you want a Mac PVR wait. Who knows at this point the Rev B Intel iMac could be that PVR mac. How can say it won't, but SJ?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
asencif said:
After today's announcement many would even feel hesitant about advicing whether to wait or not. Surprises are going to only increase with this Intel switch. If it's a true PVR you are looking for then I would wait. After today's MWSF it's clear that the software and deals with media companies are not in place yet for a mac computer, thus I think the reason the mac mini did not receive an update. The iMac is a beast now and can push 1080p externally which is awesome. Also, EyeTV is a great program, but not sure how it runs on Rosetta at the moment or if at all. So a lot of the 3rd Party apps that help make the iMac G5 close to a HDTV PVR are in question when they will run natively. You can enjoy your system now for iLife apps, word processing, browsing, watching DVD's..etc...But if you want a Mac PVR wait. Who knows at this point the Rev B Intel iMac could be that PVR mac. How can say it won't, but SJ?

thanks for the reply. yeah, i know no one knows about the mini pvr. i would like one, but who knows when, or if one will come out. so the new imac can handle HD video huh? that sounds tempting. is the 2GB of RAM enough? is the imac a good buy? i just sold my mac mini, and i was hoping to buy a new one when it came out, but it didn't. the imac is at the edge of my price range, but it might be worth it.

basically it comes down to this. i got a present for christmas from fry's (http://www.outpost.com) that costs $130. it doesn't fit in my computer, so i have to take it back. i could put that towards an imac, or something else. what do you think i should do? i have a 15" 1.67 ghz powerbook. i already have a mighty mouse, an extrernal 300 gb hard drive. i wouldn't want to buy ilife 06' b/c if i ever get a new mac, it will come with it. i guess i could get an isight, do they come with photoboth?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I thought the ATI X1600 has the .h264 accelerated playback built in..?

I'll check the site... Yep it does.. under the X1600 specification....

.Accelerated MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, WMV9, VC-1, and H.264 decoding (including DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray playback), encoding & transcoding

HD playback and recording should be easily possible on these new products: Great news :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
MacRumorUser said:
I thought the ATI X1600 has the .h264 accelerated playback built in..?

I'll check the site... Yep it does.. under the X1600 specification....

.Accelerated MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, WMV9, VC-1, and H.264 decoding (including DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray playback), encoding & transcoding

HD playback and recording should be easily possible on these new products: Great news :)

wow, thanks. so how would i record though?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
wasimyaqoob said:
How can you put iMac and Mac Mini in the same sentence, obviously iMac is so much more better than the Mac Mini.

maybe it is, but we don't know what will be in the new mac mini when it comes out (if a new one even comes out).

also, when do you think the new imacs will be in stores?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
wasimyaqoob said:
How can you put iMac and Mac Mini in the same sentence, obviously iMac is so much more better than the Mac Mini.
I'm in the similar boat. I just got an 27" HDTV and was seriously considering using a Mac with Front Row as a Media Center. An iMac makes no sense for that application since I already have a 27" 1280x720 monitor in the room, why would I also want a 17" or 20" screen next to it? The X1600 just makes it ideal for this kind of application, but the all-in-one design is a major drawback.

Still waiting for the next headless Intel Mac... (mini or not).

twoodcc said:
do you think they'll put a dual-core processor into the mac mini?
Not until the CPU prices drop significantly. As it stands today the cost of a dual core CPU is about half of the low-end Mac mini (~$250). They could introduce a more expensive (~$1000) mini, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

B

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
twoodcc said:
wow, thanks. so how would i record though?

Still would need somthing to capture it. On Ati's site they say the X1600 has AVIVO (advanced video in/video out) but have Apple taken this out of the mac?

From ATI site X1600 specifications page...

Certain ATI graphics cards with Avivo technology can dissolve connectivity barriers between PCs and consumer electronic devices. Outputs for virtually any TV via analog or digital interface, such as s-video and DVI , are complemented by inputs for cable, broadcast TV and other video sources. Advanced dual-link DVI interfaces support the largest high-resolution LCD displays.

We probably will get the X1600 without video input, meaning we will have to buy some other input device.. However at least the X1600 will accelerate everything which free's up the processor...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
balamw said:
I'm in the similar boat. I just got an 27" HDTV and was seriously considering using a Mac with Front Row as a Media Center. An iMac makes no sense for that application since I already have a 27" 1280x720 monitor in the room, why would I also want a 17" or 20" screen next to it? The X1600 just makes it ideal for this kind of application, but the all-in-one design is a major drawback.

Still waiting for the next headless Intel Mac... (mini or not).

Not until the CPU prices drop significantly. As it stands today the cost of a dual core CPU is about half of the low-end Mac mini (~$250). They could introduce a more expensive (~$1000) mini, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

B

yeah i guess so. i really would want a dual-core machine compared to a single-core. i'm tempted to buy the imac now, but i'm still not sure. i need more convincing that it will last me and keep me happy. can i install ram in it myself? is it hard to take apart?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
MacRumorUser said:
Still would need somthing to capture it. On Ati's site they say the X1600 has AVIVO (advanced video in/video out) but have Apple taken this out of the mac?

From ATI site X1600 specifications page...

Certain ATI graphics cards with Avivo technology can dissolve connectivity barriers between PCs and consumer electronic devices. Outputs for virtually any TV via analog or digital interface, such as s-video and DVI , are complemented by inputs for cable, broadcast TV and other video sources. Advanced dual-link DVI interfaces support the largest high-resolution LCD displays.

We probably will get the X1600 without video input, meaning we will have to buy some other input device.. However at least the X1600 will accelerate everything which free's up the processor...

thanks for the reply. yeah i read some of that on ATI's site also. do you think apple will release something that will capture? is there anything out there now?

also, should i be concerned about 64-bit? should i wait til this summer? surely they won't release anything major before then, right? i can't wait that long.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Personally, I dont see what all the fuss is about on 64 bit capability. So far, nothing requres it, and the things that do support it, run at almost the same speed as the 32 bit version

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
erkanasu said:
Personally, I dont see what all the fuss is about on 64 bit capability. So far, nothing requres it, and the things that do support it, run at almost the same speed as the 32 bit version

so you think i shouldn't worry about the 64-bit and just go for this imac?

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
twoodcc said:
do you think with the move to intel, that macs will be able to catch viruses?

No, its the unsecure MS Windows environment that makes intel pc's vulnerable at the moment. Not sure if people could develop virus' or spyware easier now that macs have intels though....

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Zman5225 said:
No, its the unsecure MS Windows environment that makes intel pc's vulnerable at the moment. Not sure if people could develop virus' or spyware easier now that macs have intels though....

ok. i hope you are right.

basically, someone answer this question: is now a good time to buy an intel imac 17", or do you think they will release something soon that will blow the socks off of it? by soon i mean 6 months, and around the same price (maybe a few hundred more - tops)?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i think i might buy the imac when they are at the apple store on tuesday (hopefully). i saw a dual 2.0ghz powermac at fry's on sale for under $1700. is the 17" imac still better?

also, do you think the next intel processor will be in an imac this year?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
is the intel imac a good buy right now?

please, someone tell me something. i might buy one tomorrow if they aren't sold out at the local apple store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.